How can the vertex be found in a parabolic curve equation?

• Thread starter karmatic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the conversation is discussing the equation for a parabolic curve in the context of a suspension bridge. The equation is y=12(x/20-1)^2+3, and the question is asking for the distance between supporting pillars, the height of the pillars, and the length of the vertical suspender in the center of the span. The conversation also mentions finding the coordinates of the vertex, which can be done by factoring and simplifying the equation.
karmatic
Parabolic Curve Question!

Homework Statement

The parabolic curve described by the cable of a suspension bridge, as shown in the diagram below, is

y=12(x/20-1)^2+3

where x is the distance in metres measured from one end of the
bridge. The deck, or load-bearing portion, is at y = 0 and is hung
below the suspension cable on vertical suspenders. At either end
of the span shown the suspension cable is anchored to identical
supporting pillars. What distance does the bridge span between supporting pillars? How high are the supporting pillars at either end of the span? How long is the vertical suspender in the centre of the span?

Homework Equations

y=ax^2+bx+c

The Attempt at a Solution

Should the co-ordinates of the vertex be 1,3 or 20,3?. The value for a is the 12, but I have no idea how to find the values for b or c! The equation given is the vertex form, I found a formula to convert it back to the standard form which is just to expand and simplify the binomial, so I'm wanting to take (x/20-1)^2 and expand it but I'm not sure if I should be substituting an arbitrary value for x or not! I'm also not sure of how to incorperate the /20 into it, I know if that weren't there it would simply be (x-1)(x-1)=x^2-2x+1.

Can someone shed a little light on this one for me please!?

Physics news on Phys.org

I suggest drawing a picture. As for finding the vertex, consider the following:

[tex]y = 12 (\frac{x}{20}-1)^2 + 3[/tex]

Factor 1/20:
[tex]y = 12 (\frac{1}{20} (x-20))^2 + 3[/tex]

Square 1/20:
[tex]y = \frac{12}{400} (x-20)^2 + 3[/tex]

Reduce fractions:
[tex]y = \frac{3}{100} (x-20)^2 + 3[/tex]

This tells you that the vertex is located at (20, 3).

Last edited:

1. What is a parabolic curve?

A parabolic curve is a type of mathematical curve that resembles the shape of a parabola, which is a symmetrical U-shaped curve. It is a smooth, continuous curve that is defined by a quadratic function.

2. What are some real-life examples of parabolic curves?

Parabolic curves can be seen in the shape of a water fountain, the trajectory of a thrown ball, or the shape of a satellite dish. They can also be found in architecture, such as the arches of bridges and buildings.

3. How is a parabolic curve different from other types of curves?

A parabolic curve is different from other curves because it is the only type of curve that is symmetrical and has a constant rate of change. This means that it has a smooth and gradual change in direction, rather than sharp turns or sudden changes in direction.

4. What are the properties of a parabolic curve?

The main properties of a parabolic curve are its symmetry, its constant rate of change, and its focus and directrix. The focus is a point located on the axis of symmetry, and the directrix is a line perpendicular to the axis of symmetry that reflects the curve's shape.

5. How is a parabolic curve used in science and technology?

Parabolic curves have many practical applications in science and technology. They are used in optics for designing lenses and mirrors, in engineering for designing structures that can withstand pressure and distribute weight evenly, and in physics to model the motion of objects under the influence of gravity.