How can the vertex be found in a parabolic curve equation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter karmatic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Curve
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
karmatic
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Parabolic Curve Question!

Homework Statement


The parabolic curve described by the cable of a suspension bridge, as shown in the diagram below, is

y=12(x/20-1)^2+3

where x is the distance in metres measured from one end of the
bridge. The deck, or load-bearing portion, is at y = 0 and is hung
below the suspension cable on vertical suspenders. At either end
of the span shown the suspension cable is anchored to identical
supporting pillars. What distance does the bridge span between supporting pillars? How high are the supporting pillars at either end of the span? How long is the vertical suspender in the centre of the span?


Homework Equations


y=ax^2+bx+c


The Attempt at a Solution


Should the co-ordinates of the vertex be 1,3 or 20,3?. The value for a is the 12, but I have no idea how to find the values for b or c! The equation given is the vertex form, I found a formula to convert it back to the standard form which is just to expand and simplify the binomial, so I'm wanting to take (x/20-1)^2 and expand it but I'm not sure if I should be substituting an arbitrary value for x or not! I'm also not sure of how to incorperate the /20 into it, I know if that weren't there it would simply be (x-1)(x-1)=x^2-2x+1.

Can someone shed a little light on this one for me please!?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


I suggest drawing a picture. As for finding the vertex, consider the following:

[tex]y = 12 (\frac{x}{20}-1)^2 + 3[/tex]

Factor 1/20:
[tex]y = 12 (\frac{1}{20} (x-20))^2 + 3[/tex]

Square 1/20:
[tex]y = \frac{12}{400} (x-20)^2 + 3[/tex]

Reduce fractions:
[tex]y = \frac{3}{100} (x-20)^2 + 3[/tex]

This tells you that the vertex is located at (20, 3).
 
Last edited: