How did the textbook get this answer? (satellite motion question)

The conversation is about a group of friends discussing their plans for the weekend. One person suggests going to the beach, another suggests going on a hike, and the third person suggests having a game night at home.In summary, the group of friends is deciding on plans for the weekend. One person suggests going to the beach, another suggests a hike, and the third person suggests a game night at home.
httplol
Homework Statement
Suppose we want to place a weather satellite into a circular orbit 300 km above the earth's surface. The earth's radius is 6380 km= 6.38E6 m, and its mass is 5.98E24 kg
A. What speed, period, and radial acceleration must it have?
B. Find the speed and orbit radius for an earth satellite that has a period of 1 day (86400 s).
Relevant Equations
(all answers are rounded) I understand how to get part A as
v= sqrt((6.67E-11*5.98E24)/(3.0E5+6.38E6))= 7730 m/s
T= 2π(6.68E6)/7730= 5430 s
a= (7730^2)/6.68E6= 8.95 m/s^2
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I'm not getting the same answer as the textbook for part B (v= 3.07E3 m/s; r= 4.23E7 m). Can someone please explain how to do part B?
Below is my attempt at the problem:
T= 86400= 2πr/v
v= 2π(6.68E6)/86400= 4.86E7 m/s
r= (86400)(7730)/2π= 1.06E8 m

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me that you are using the Earth's radius as the satellite's orbit radius for part B. You are correct in your approach to part A. I suggest doing the same in part B.

take your result from part A (namely ##v = \sqrt{\frac{GM}{r}}##) and plug it into ##T = \frac{2 \pi r}{v}## to get

##T = 2 \pi r \sqrt{\frac{r}{GM}}## solve for ##r## and then solving for ##v## is straight forward.

Likes httplol
All hail PhDeezNutz!

• Haha
Likes SammyS, berkeman and PhDeezNutz

1. How do you calculate the satellite's motion in the textbook?

The textbook's answer for satellite motion is typically calculated using Newton's laws of motion, specifically the law of universal gravitation and the laws of motion. This involves taking into account the mass and distance of the satellite and the planet it is orbiting, as well as any external forces acting on the satellite.

2. Why is the textbook's answer different from my own calculation?

The textbook's answer may differ from your own calculation due to a number of factors. These can include rounding errors, differences in assumptions or simplifications made in the calculation, or variations in the values used for variables such as mass or distance.

3. Can you explain the steps used to arrive at the textbook's answer?

Yes, the steps used to calculate the satellite's motion in the textbook can be broken down into several parts. These include identifying the relevant laws of motion, determining the values of variables such as mass and distance, and applying the appropriate equations to arrive at a final answer.

4. How do I know if I have the correct answer for the satellite's motion?

To determine if you have the correct answer for the satellite's motion, you can compare your calculation to the textbook's answer. If they are the same, then you likely have the correct answer. Additionally, you can check your work for any errors or consult with a teacher or tutor for assistance.

5. Are there any common mistakes made when calculating satellite motion?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes that can occur when calculating satellite motion. These include using incorrect values for variables, forgetting to account for external forces, and making calculation errors. It is important to double check your work and be aware of potential mistakes to ensure an accurate answer.