How Do Energy Meters Use Power Lines for Communication?

In summary, domestic energy meters communicate with power utility centers using A-band powerline communication and RF technology. The meters can also act as "proxy" nodes to gather data from meters that are too far away. This technology may be expensive and not easily implementable in certain countries, but there are options such as regular wireless sensor networks. For more information and quotes, visit the company's website or contact your local sales office.
dk99
How do the domestic Energy meters communicate with the power utility centers (Using the Power Lines) ??

What kind of hardware do they use?

Please help me out :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
dk99 said:
How do the domestic Energy meters communicate with the power utility centers (Using the Power Lines) ??

What kind of hardware do they use?

Please help me out :)

[full disclosure] The following information is from the company that I work for. [/full disclosure]

We generally use A-band powerline communication from the electric meters to some "Concentrator" unit mounted at the residential distribution transformers. Each transformer can service a number of homes, with that number varying, depending on what part of the country you are in, and what kind of residences they are (houses, condos, apartments, etc.).

The Concentrator unit gathers the encrypted meter data, and forwards it to the Utility Data Center. It may use RF for that forwarding, and GSM modems are commonly used.

One key to reliable powerline networking in this type of application (lots of attenuation of PL comm signals, lots of noise) is to be able to use the meters themselves as "proxy" nodes. So if the Concentrator cannot communicate with a meter that is too far away, it can use intermediate meters to gather the far meter's data. Much of that technology is proprietary, but some of it is being published now. Here is some information from our website that may help you to understand:

http://www.echelon.com/support/docu...r_Line_Repeating_Network_Management_Guide.pdf

Last edited:
It is using Pocket PC.. isn't it?
I think it's pretty expensive. I don't think it's really implementable in India.
My friend is proposing Regular wireless sensor network.
How does it sound?

dk99 said:
It is using Pocket PC.. isn't it?
I think it's pretty expensive. I don't think it's really implementable in India.
My friend is proposing Regular wireless sensor network.
How does it sound?

Pocket PC? No, but I don't even know what that is. I shouldn't push my company's products here obviously. But it's pretty hard to do it cheaper and better -- that's why the company is in business. Just go to their website and find your local sales office. You can get quotes and other information from them.

Related to How Do Energy Meters Use Power Lines for Communication?

1. What is Power Line Communications (PLC)?

Power Line Communications (PLC) is a technology that enables the use of existing power lines for data transmission. It allows for two-way communication between electronic devices, such as computers and appliances, through the power lines in a building or neighborhood.

2. How does PLC work?

PLC works by transmitting data over the existing power line infrastructure. The data is modulated and sent through the power lines at a high frequency, usually in the range of 2-30 MHz. At the receiving end, the data is demodulated and converted back into its original form.

3. What are the benefits of using PLC?

PLC offers several benefits, including cost-effectiveness, convenience, and reliability. It eliminates the need for additional wiring and can reach areas that are difficult to access with traditional wired or wireless connections. PLC also provides a more stable and secure connection compared to wireless technologies.

4. What are some common applications of PLC?

PLC is commonly used for home automation, smart grid systems, and Internet of Things (IoT) devices. It can also be used for remote metering, data logging, and remote control of appliances and lighting.

5. Are there any limitations to using PLC?

PLC can be affected by electrical noise and interference, which can degrade the quality of the data transmission. It is also limited by the quality and age of the power line infrastructure. Additionally, PLC may not be suitable for long-distance data transmission or in areas with frequent power outages.