How do I calculate the force between a charged and a neutral sphere

In summary, two small conducting spheres with charges +6.0 µC and −2.0 µC experience an attractive force of 9.1 N when placed a distance r apart. After being touched together and moved back to a distance r apart, the final charges on both spheres will be +2 µC and +2 µC. This is due to the fact that potential is the same in different parts of the same conductor.
QaH

Homework Statement

Two otherwise identical, small conducting spheres have charges +6.0 µC and −2.0 µC. When placed a distance r apart, each experiences an attractive force of 9.1 N. The spheres are then touched together and moved back to a distance r apart. Find the magnitude of the new force on each sphere.

Homework Equations

Fe=kq1q2/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I did was solve for r, r=√kq1q2/Fe=√8.98755×109×6×10-6×2×10-6/9.1N=0.1089meters
after the spheres come together there final charges will be +4μC and 0μC
I don't know where to go from here because when you plug a 0 charge into coulombs law you get 0 force.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
QaH said:
after the spheres come together there final charges will be +4μC and 0μC
Are you sure about that?

gneill said:
Are you sure about that?
No, but I assumed the positively charged sphere will gain electrons when touched with the negatively charged sphere. An amount equal to -2 μC
6q-2q=4q the negatively charged sphere will have lost electrons equal to -2μC, -2q-(-2q)=0

QaH said:
No, but I assumed the positively charged sphere will gain electrons when touched with the negatively charged sphere. An amount equal to -2 μC
6q-2q=4q the negatively charged sphere will have lost electrons equal to -2μC, -2q-(-2q)=0
Think about potentials. What do you know about potential in different parts of the same conductor?

Likes QaH
They are the same? So the final charge will be +2 and +2?

QaH said:
They are the same? So the final charge will be +2 and +2?
Yes.

1. How can I calculate the force between a charged and a neutral sphere?

To calculate the force between a charged and a neutral sphere, you will need to use Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What is Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that explains the force between two charged objects. It states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What units should I use when calculating the force between a charged and a neutral sphere?

The units used in Coulomb's law are Coulombs (C) for charge, meters (m) for distance, and Newtons (N) for force. It is important to use consistent units when performing calculations.

4. Can I use Coulomb's law to calculate the force between two charged objects of any shape?

Yes, Coulomb's law can be used to calculate the force between two charged objects of any shape as long as the distance between the two objects is measured from the center of each object.

5. How do I know if the force between a charged and a neutral sphere is attractive or repulsive?

The force between a charged and a neutral sphere will be attractive if the charges on the two objects have opposite signs. It will be repulsive if the charges on the two objects have the same sign. Additionally, the magnitude of the force will be greater for larger charges and smaller distances between the objects.