How do I calculate the normal force on a box on an inclined plane?

In summary: The net force on the box perpendicular to the ramp is the sum of the forces acting on it: Fnet=Fup+Fdown. The normal force is the component of the net force that is perpendicular to the ramp. The net force on the box perpendicular to the ramp is the sum of the forces acting on it: Fnet=Fup+Fdown. The normal force is the component of the net force that is perpendicular to the ramp.
John Comtoi

Homework Statement

A 20kg box has a static coefficient of friction of 0.28. If a force of 200N is applied at an angle of 45deg, is the box able to move. Explain why once the static friction is overcome, the frictional force decreases and the box moves easier.

Homework Equations

F=m*a
Ff=μFN

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't fully understand this concept. I made a diagram with FN going straight down on the box (perpendicular to the ramp), and Fg going directly down. I know how to calculate the frictional force but I am confused on the solution to the problem. Am i supposed to make a right triangle and use trig to find the hypotenuse and the bottom side?

The right triangle I made consisted of
FN=200N and Fg= (9.8m/s*20kg). I am pretty sure the Fg is wrong because the hypotenuse of the right triangle would be smaller than one of the other sides. I feel likes I have the general gyst on how to set up on visualizing it, but I can't execute using the variables at hand

Physics news on Phys.org
Realize that the applied force affects the normal force between box and surface. You need to calculate that normal force. Start by identifying all the forces acting on the box in a free body diagram.

Doc Al said:
Realize that the applied force affects the normal force between box and surface. You need to calculate that normal force. Start by identifying all the forces acting on the box in a free body diagram.
https://gyazo.com/373eea5a0624f1562ed194fd5074fd02

Is the normal force not 200N? or am I supposed to factor in the mass of 20kg?

John Comtoi said:

Is the normal force not 200N? or am I supposed to factor in the mass of 20kg?
Does that diagram relate to this problem? You didn't mention an incline in your first post.

Yes, the weight of the mass will affect the normal force.

John Comtoi said:
I made a diagram with FN going straight down on the box (perpendicular to the ramp), and Fg going directly down.
I guess you did mention a ramp, but your diagram shows 40 degrees. And you state in post 1 that the applied force is at a 45 degree angle.

Can you restate the problem?

Also... why in the world is this thread titled "momentum and collision" problem! :)

Doc Al said:
Also... why in the world is this thread titled "momentum and collision" problem! :)

I was initially going to put a different problem but I forgot to change the title!

The diagram angle was a mistake, It was 45deg. Not 40deg.

Is the normal force 200N? or am I mistaken in the way that I'm labeling variables and calculating them?

John Comtoi said:
I was initially going to put a different problem but I forgot to change the title!

The diagram angle was a mistake, It was 45deg. Not 40deg.
No worries. (Give me a new title and I'll change it.)

John Comtoi said:
Is the normal force 200N?
No. The applied force is 200 N. You also must consider the component of the box's weight normal to the surface.

Doc Al said:
No worries. (Give me a new title and I'll change it.)No. The applied force is 200 N. You also must consider the component of the box's weight normal to the surface.
New Title: Friction problem

Is the normal force the mass of the box*gravity so 20kg(9.8m/s^2)=196N?
and if so, is that the force perpendicular to the ramp in the diagram?

John Comtoi said:
Is the normal force the mass of the box*gravity so 20kg(9.8m/s^2)=196N?
No, that's the weight of the box. It acts vertically down.

John Comtoi said:
and if so, is that the force perpendicular to the ramp in the diagram?
The 200 N force shown in your diagram is the applied force.

Four forces act on the box, but three have components perpendicular to the ramp. (What are they?) What must be the net force on the box perpendicular to the ramp? Use that to solve for the normal force.

1. What is friction and how does it affect an object on an incline?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. On an incline, friction acts in the opposite direction to the object's motion, making it more difficult for the object to move.

2. How does the angle of the incline affect the friction force?

The steeper the incline, the greater the friction force will be. This is because the component of the object's weight acting parallel to the incline increases as the angle increases, thus increasing the friction force.

3. Is there a way to reduce friction on an incline?

Yes, friction can be reduced by using a lubricant between the two surfaces in contact. This creates a slippery layer that reduces the amount of friction between the surfaces.

4. Does the mass of the object affect the friction force on an incline?

Yes, the friction force also depends on the mass of the object. A heavier object will have a greater weight, which in turn increases the normal force between the object and the incline, thus increasing the friction force.

5. How can friction on an incline be calculated?

To calculate the friction force on an incline, you need to know the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces in contact and the angle of the incline. The friction force can be calculated using the formula F = μmgcosθ, where μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline.