How do I calculate this double integral using a change of variables?

In summary, the problem involves calculating the double integral of cos((x-y)/(x+y)) dA over a triangle bounded by the points (0,0), (2,2), and (2+pi, 2-pi). The solution involves setting U = x-y and V = x+y and mapping the coordinates to uv space to determine the bounds for the integral.
mld993
The problem is as follows.

Calculate the double integral of cos ((x-y)/(x+y)) dA over R, where R is the triangle bounded by the points (0,0), (2,2), and (2 + pi, 2 - pi).

I understand that you have to set U = x-y and V = x+y. However, I am having a hard time finding the bounds on the integral because the slope of the lines isn't 1. I can't simply add x to the other side of each equation because of the 2+pi and 2-pi. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
mld993 said:
The problem is as follows.

Calculate the double integral of cos ((x-y)/(x+y)) dA over R, where R is the triangle bounded by the points (0,0), (2,2), and (2 + pi, 2 - pi).

I understand that you have to set U = x-y and V = x+y. However, I am having a hard time finding the bounds on the integral because the slope of the lines isn't 1. I can't simply add x to the other side of each equation because of the 2+pi and 2-pi. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
It is a case of mapping the coordinates of the points in Cartesians to uv space. When x=y=0, what are u and v? When x=y=2, what are u and v? Similarly, for x,y=2±π. Once you have pairs (u,v), you can sketch the resulting region and then determine the bounds for u and v.

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation used to calculate the area under a two-dimensional surface or volume under a three-dimensional surface. It involves integrating a function over a specified region in the x-y plane or x-y-z space.

2. What is a change of variables?

A change of variables is a method used to simplify the calculation of a double integral by substituting new variables for the existing ones. This can make the integral easier to solve or evaluate.

3. When should I use a change of variables for a double integral?

A change of variables is typically used when the original integral is difficult to evaluate, or when the region of integration is not a simple shape such as a rectangle or circle. It can also be used to transform the integral into a more familiar form.

4. How do I choose the appropriate change of variables for a double integral?

The appropriate change of variables for a double integral depends on the shape and limits of the region of integration. You can use geometric considerations, such as symmetry, to guide your choice of variables. Additionally, using polar, cylindrical, or spherical coordinates can be helpful in certain cases.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using a change of variables for a double integral?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using a change of variables for a double integral include mixing up the order of integration, forgetting to include the Jacobian in the integral, and not carefully evaluating the limits of integration in the new variable system. It is important to double check your work and make sure all steps are followed correctly for an accurate result.