How do I convert BTUs to calories?

In summary: I believe his calculations are correct. In summary, the conversation discusses the use of British thermal units (Btu) in engineering work and provides a definition of a Btu as the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of 1 lb of water by 1°F. The task is to calculate the number of joules in a Btu using the given information, and the answer is 1054 J. There is a brief discussion about the conversion factor and clarification on the correct formula to use.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"The use of the British thermal unit (Btu) is common in much engineering work. A Btu is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of 1 lb of water by 1°F. Calculate the number of joules in a Btu.

Homework Equations

"A calorie was originally defined as the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of 1 g of water from 14.5°C to 15.5°C. A calorie is now defined in terms of the joule:

1 calorie = 4.184 J"

The Attempt at a Solution

I know one BTU is 1054 J. Here is what I believe to be correct:
1-lb(453.59 g/lb)(4.148-J/1°C)(5/9°F/1°C) = 1054 J
However, I'm a bit worried about my last factor. Isn't it supposed to be (5/9(°F - 32°)/1°C)?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. You are that there are 9/5 Fahrenheit degrees per °C, and you are not interested in where the scale starts.

Eclair_de_XII said:

Homework Statement

"The use of the British thermal unit (Btu) is common in much engineering work. A Btu is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of 1 lb of water by 1°F. Calculate the number of joules in a Btu.

Homework Equations

"A calorie was originally defined as the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of 1 g of water from 14.5°C to 15.5°C. A calorie is now defined in terms of the joule:

1 calorie = 4.184 J"

The Attempt at a Solution

I know one BTU is 1054 J. Here is what I believe to be correct:
1-lb(453.59 g/lb)(4.148-J/1°C)(5/9°F/1°C) = 1054 J
However, I'm a bit worried about my last factor. Isn't it supposed to be (5/9(°F - 32°)/1°C)?

If 1 calorie = 4.184 J, and 1 BTU = 1054 J, why are you fiddling around with these other extraneous calculations?

My understanding is that he has to convert using only the data given.

1. What is the formula for converting BTUs to calories?

The formula for converting BTUs (British Thermal Units) to calories is: 1 BTU = 252 calories. This means that to convert BTUs to calories, you need to multiply the number of BTUs by 252.

2. Why do we need to convert BTUs to calories?

BTUs and calories are both units of energy measurement, but they are used in different contexts. BTUs are commonly used in the United States to measure energy consumption, while calories are used in nutrition to measure the energy content of food. Converting between the two units allows for a better understanding and comparison of energy usage and nutritional intake.

3. Can BTUs and calories be converted to other units of energy measurement?

Yes, both BTUs and calories can be converted to other units of energy measurement, such as joules or kilowatt-hours. However, these conversions may require different formulas and conversion factors.

4. How do I convert BTUs to calories in practical terms?

To convert BTUs to calories in practical terms, you can use the formula provided (1 BTU = 252 calories) and apply it to your specific situation. For example, if you want to know how many calories are in a 10,000 BTU air conditioner, you would multiply 10,000 by 252 to get 2,520,000 calories.

5. Is there an online calculator for converting BTUs to calories?

Yes, there are many online calculators available for converting BTUs to calories. Simply search "BTU to calorie calculator" on a search engine and you will find multiple options to choose from. Just make sure to double check the conversion factor used by the calculator to ensure accuracy.