Calculating ΔH Using Hess's Law: What Steps Are Involved?

In summary: So in order to find the coefficients of a linear combination, you need to solve for the constants and then multiply the resulting equation by the coefficients.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

Given the data:
N2(g) + O2(g) → 2NO(g) ΔH = 180.7kJ
2NO(g) + O2(g) → 2NO2(g) ΔH = -113.1kJ
2N2O(g) → 2N2(g) + O2(g) ΔH = -163.2kJ

use Hess's law to calculate ΔH for the reaction
N2O(g) + NO2(g) → 3NO(g)

Homework Equations

"Hess's law states that if a reaction is carried out in a series of steps, ΔH for the overall reaction equals the sum of the enthalpy changes for the individual steps."

The Attempt at a Solution

½(N2(g) + O2(g) → 2NO(g)) ΔH = 90.35kJ
½(2N2O(g) → 2N2(g) + O2(g)) ΔH = -81.6kJ

3(N(g) + O(g) → NO(g)) ΔH = 271.05 kJ
½(2NO(g) + O2(g) → 2NO2(g)) ΔH = -56.55kJ
N2(g) + O(g) → N2O(g) ΔH = 81.6kJ

271.05 - (-56.55 + 81.6) = 246kJ

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Eclair_de_XII said:
3(N(g) + O(g) → NO(g)) ΔH = 271.05 kJ
Product, good.
Eclair_de_XII said:
N2(g) + O(g) → N2O(g) ΔH = 81.6kJ
One reactant, good.
Eclair_de_XII said:
½(2NO(g) + O2(g) → 2NO2(g)) ΔH = -56.55kJ
You omitted a step with this reactant.

Did I forget to distribute the half?

NO(g) + O(g) → NO2(g) ΔH = -56.55kJ

Last edited:
You forgot to "synthesize" the NO as far as getting a heat of formation for NO2.

So -56.55 kJ isn't the heat of formation for nitrogen dioxide?

It's the heat of formation of NO2 from NO and oxygen, but not from nitrogen and oxygen, which would be the heat of formation as you've chosen to solve the problem.

You need to find the coefficients of a linear combination of the three reactions that gives you the desired reaction. The third reaction is the only one that contains N2O, so it's coefficient must be 1/2. The second reaction is the only one that contains NO2, but it on the right hand side, so it's coefficient must be -1/2. To make good on these, the coefficient of the first reaction must be 1.

Chet

Bystander said:
It's the heat of formation of NO2 from NO and oxygen, but not from nitrogen and oxygen, which would be the heat of formation as you've chosen to solve the problem.

So is it (-113.1 - 180.7) = -293.8kJ?

Chestermiller said:
You need to find the coefficients of a linear combination of the three reactions that gives you the desired reaction. The third reaction is the only one that contains N2O, so it's coefficient must be 1/2. The second reaction is the only one that contains NO2, but it on the right hand side, so it's coefficient must be -1/2. To make good on these, the coefficient of the first reaction must be 1.

I don't understand. I just added the coefficients so as to match the number of each gas in the desired equation. What are you talking about?

Eclair_de_XII said:
So is it (-113.1 - 180.7) = -293.8kJ?
I don't understand. I just added the coefficients so as to match the number of each gas in the desired equation. What are you talking about?
##\frac{1}{2}(-163.2)-\frac{1}{2}(-113.1)+1(180.7)=155.65##

Here's a check on my answer:

Heat of formation of NO = 90.25

Heat of formation of NO2 = 33.18

Heat of formation of N2O = 82.05

3(90.25) - 33.18 - 82.05 = 155.52

How does that grab ya?

Chet

Last edited:
Chestermiller said:
##\frac{1}{2}(-163.2)-\frac{1}{2}(-113.1)+1(180.7)=155.65##

I don't understand why you divided both the 2NO2 and 2N2O by two, whereas you left the 2NO untouched. I checked with a tutor and he came up with the same thing. So why aren't we multiplying the heat of formation of 2NO by 3/2?

Eclair_de_XII said:
I don't understand why you divided both the 2NO2 and 2N2O by two, whereas you left the 2NO untouched. I checked with a tutor and he came up with the same thing. So why aren't we multiplying the heat of formation of 2NO by 3/2?
Because N2 and O2 are not involved in the reaction for which you are trying to find the heat of reaction.

Suppose you had 3 algebraic equations involving the 5 unknowns a, b, c, d, and e. The three equations are:

a + b = 2c

2c + b = 2d

2e = 2a +b

You are asked to form a linear combination of these three equations by multiplying each equation by a constant and then adding the resulting (new) three relationships together to obtain:

e + d = 3c

Are you able to figure out what the three constants would have to be in order for you to accomplish this?

Chet

Let's see:

½3(a + b) = ½3(2c)
½3a + ½3b = 3c
The constant is ½3.

½(2c + b) = ½(2d)
c + ½b = d

½(2e) = ½(2a + b)
e = a + ½b
The constant for the latter two is ½.

(a + ½b) + (c + ½b) = (½3a + ½3b)
a + b + c = (½3a + ½3b)
-½a - ½b + c = 0

Eclair_de_XII said:
Let's see:

½3(a + b) = ½3(2c)
½3a + ½3b = 3c
The constant is ½3.

½(2c + b) = ½(2d)
c + ½b = d

½(2e) = ½(2a + b)
e = a + ½b
The constant for the latter two is ½.

(a + ½b) + (c + ½b) = (½3a + ½3b)
a + b + c = (½3a + ½3b)
-½a - ½b + c = 0
Well, that correctly gives a/2 + b/2 = c, which would give the heat of formation of NO (parameter c). Of course, that could have been obtained just you multiplying the first equation by 1/2.

But, the problem statement asks for the heat of the reaction e + d = 3c.

What do you get if you multiply the first equation by 1, the second equation by -1/2, and the third equation by +1/2 and add them together?

Chet

a + b = 2c

-½(2c + b) = -½(2d)
-c - ½b = -d
c + ½b = d

½2e = ½(2a + b)
e = a + ½b

(a + ½b) + (c + ½b) + a + b = 2a + 2b + c

I'm still having trouble with where you're going with this.

Eclair_de_XII said:
a + b = 2c

-½(2c + b) = -½(2d)
-c - ½b = -d
c + ½b = d

½2e = ½(2a + b)
e = a + ½b

(a + ½b) + (c + ½b) + a + b = 2a + 2b + c

I'm still having trouble with where you're going with this.

a + b = 2c
-c - ½b = -d
e = a + ½b

Adding your 3 equations together:

(a + b) - (c + ½b) + e = 2c - d + (a + ½b)

Combining terms:

e + d = 3c

Chet

Oh, so I had to insert both sides of each equation into the final one?

Eclair_de_XII said:
Oh, so I had to insert both sides of each equation into the final one?
Yes. That's what we have done. And note that the operations we carried out on the three equations are exactly the same as the operations we should perform on the three heats of reaction to arrive at the heat of the desired reaction.

Chet

Okay, thanks.

I appreciate the help.

1. How is enthalpy defined?

Enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a thermodynamic system. It takes into account the internal energy of the system, plus the energy required to create or maintain its volume and pressure.

2. What is the formula for calculating change in enthalpy?

The formula for change in enthalpy is ∆H = Hfinal - Hinitial, where ∆H is the change in enthalpy, Hfinal is the final enthalpy of the system, and Hinitial is the initial enthalpy of the system.

3. How do you measure enthalpy change?

Enthalpy change can be measured using a calorimeter, which measures the heat exchanged between the system and its surroundings. The change in temperature of the system and its surroundings can then be used to calculate the change in enthalpy using the formula ∆H = q/m, where q is the heat exchanged and m is the mass of the system.

4. What factors can cause a change in enthalpy?

Changes in enthalpy can be caused by changes in temperature, pressure, or the number of moles of a substance in a reaction. Changes in the physical state of a substance, such as melting or vaporization, can also result in a change in enthalpy.

5. How can enthalpy change be used in chemical reactions?

Enthalpy change can be used to determine the energy released or absorbed during a chemical reaction. By measuring the change in enthalpy, we can determine whether a reaction is exothermic (releasing heat) or endothermic (absorbing heat). Enthalpy change can also be used to calculate the heat of formation for a compound, providing important information about its stability and energy content.