How do I find energy lost? Something very simple is confusing me

In summary: So it is an error in calculation.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the kinetic energy lost in a given situation. The answer given in scientific notation is incorrect and the correct calculation would be to subtract the final kinetic energy from the initial kinetic energy. However, the initial calculation is incorrect as kinetic energy cannot be negative.

Homework Statement

Find the kinetic energy lost

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We solved it in class

Ek1 = -206 J
Ek2 = 10 J

Find the energy lost.

The answer is was 2.2 * 10^2 J lost

This is confusing for me, to find energy lost, we should subtract the initial energy from the final energy, or should we subtract the final from the initial? So is the answer

Ek1 - Ek2 = -206 J - 10 J = -216 J
or

Ek2 - Ek1 = 10 J - (-206 J) = 216 J

How do we do it?

I know for example if someone has say 10 marbles, and loses 3, we have seven left. So the amount lost should be

10 - 7 = 3

Or initial - final.

Or is it final - initial = 7 - 10 = -3 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your intuition with the marbles is correct. We have an initial situation which undergoes a process and then a final situation. So,

Energy lost = Initial - Final.

Although, Ill give you a standard disclaimer that 'lost' isn't the correct term to be using here.

I think your problem comes from your initial calculations. An object can't possesses a negative kinetic energy.

Ek = 1/2 m v^2

1/2 is +ve mass is +ve and velocity is either -ve or +ve, but (+ve)^2 = (-ve)^2 = +ve

Hence Ek is the product of three positive values and must always be positive (or 0).

2.2*10^2 J is 216 J written in scientific notation with 2 sig. figures.

If Ek1 is the initial energy and Ek2 is the final energy then the energy lost is

= EK1 - EK2
= (-206) - (+10)
= -216 Joules

It's negative => gain

Edit: Oops it's KE so I agree with what others have said, you can't have negative KE so something is wrong with the original data.

Last edited:
If KE1 is -206 J and KE2 is 10 then you have

KE1-KE2 = KE3

-206-10= -216

You are losing -216 J therefore:

-206 - (-216) = 10 J

But as pointed out by Gatsby88 you can't have negative kinetic energy.

Related to How do I find energy lost? Something very simple is confusing me

1. How do I know if I am losing energy?

There are several signs that may indicate energy loss, such as a decrease in performance or productivity, feeling tired or fatigued, or experiencing an increase in your energy bills. It is important to pay attention to these signs and track your energy usage to determine if there is any loss.

2. What are some common causes of energy loss?

There are many factors that can contribute to energy loss, including poor insulation, air leaks, inefficient appliances, and outdated HVAC systems. It is important to identify and address these issues in order to prevent further energy loss.

3. How can I find out where the energy loss is occurring?

One way to find energy loss is to conduct an energy audit. This involves a professional inspecting your home or workplace to identify areas where energy may be escaping. You can also conduct a DIY audit by using tools such as a thermal camera or a home energy monitor to detect energy loss.

4. How can I fix energy loss?

The best way to fix energy loss is to address the root causes. This may involve making improvements to your insulation, sealing air leaks, upgrading to more efficient appliances, and maintaining your HVAC system. It is also important to be mindful of your energy usage habits and make changes to reduce unnecessary energy consumption.

5. Are there any simple solutions to prevent energy loss?

Yes, there are several simple solutions to prevent energy loss, such as using weather stripping to seal air leaks, installing a programmable thermostat to regulate temperature, and regularly maintaining your appliances and HVAC system. Additionally, being mindful of your energy usage and making small changes, such as turning off lights and unplugging electronics when not in use, can also make a significant impact.