How Do I Find the Angle of Force in This Scenario?

In summary, the question asks for the angle to the horizontal ground at which a woman must pull a rope attached to a 30 kg rock with 40 N of force in order to accelerate it at 3.5 m/s² without friction. Using the formula F=ma and solving for the angle using cosine, the angle is found to be 29 degrees.
homevolend

Homework Statement

Question in angle of force: A women is pulling a rock attached to a rope with 10N of force. If the mass of the rope&rock is 30 kg. And if the rope&rock accelerate at 5 m/s squared without friction. What is the angle to the horizonal ground does the woman pull?

Homework Equations

Mass= 30kg
Fnet=10N
A=5m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

What I tried to do was use this forumula: (m)(a)=(Fnet)Cos(theta)-Ff

So then I tried to do the 30*5 which is 150 = 10cos-1 But I could find the angle.

I do not know how to corrently find the angle in these types of questions.

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
150 = 10cos(θ)
15 = cos(θ)
but there is no solution. This is because you need more than 10 N to accelerate 30 kg at 5 m/s². In fact, you need 150 N when pulling straight ahead. Is it possible you have copied a number in the question incorrectly?

Yes sorry I did, it is f40N, m=10kg, a=3.5ms/s/s

I was looking at a different quesion. I just cannot seem to find a way to find the angle. I tried drawing a diagram to no avail.

F=ma
40*cos(Θ) = 10*3.5
cos(Θ) = 35/40
cos(Θ) = 0.875
Now take the inverse cosine of both sides to get
Θ = invCos(0.875)
Θ = 29 degrees

Thanks! Now I will know how to find the Θ for my next questions like this. Thanks again, appreciate it.

Most welcome!

1. What is the definition of "angle of force"?

The angle of force refers to the direction in which a force is applied. It is measured as the angle between the direction of the force and a reference axis, usually the horizontal axis.

2. Why is it important to find the angle of force?

Knowing the angle of force is important because it allows us to understand how the force will act on an object. It also helps us calculate other factors such as the magnitude and direction of the resultant force.

3. How do you determine the angle of force?

The angle of force can be determined using a protractor or by using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. It is important to ensure that the angle is measured accurately for accurate calculations.

4. Can the angle of force change?

Yes, the angle of force can change depending on the direction in which the force is applied. For example, if a force is applied at an angle of 30 degrees, and then the direction of the force changes to 45 degrees, the angle of force will also change.

5. What is the relationship between the angle of force and the resultant force?

The angle of force and the resultant force are closely related. The angle of force is used to calculate the magnitude and direction of the resultant force using trigonometric functions. The resultant force is the combined effect of all the forces acting on an object, including the angle of force.