How do I find the average velocity of an electron?

In summary, the problem involves finding the average velocity of an electron in a wire with a current of 1600A and a concentration of 10^29 electrons per cubic meter. The equation that relates current and flow of charge must be used, taking into account the charge per electron and the number of electrons flowing. The given numbers of density and cross-sectional area are helpful in solving the problem.
chueco

Homework Statement

A current of 1600A exists in a rectangular (0.4-by-16cm) bus bar. the current is due to free electrons flowing the wire at an average velocity of v meters/second. If the concentration of free electrons is 10^29 electrons per cubic meter and if they are uniformly dispersed throughout the wire, then what is the average velocity of an electron?

Can someone please help?

Homework Equations

I don't know where to start.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
chueco said:

Homework Statement

A current of 1600A exists in a rectangular (0.4-by-16cm) bus bar. the current is due to free electrons flowing the wire at an average velocity of v meters/second. If the concentration of free electrons is 10^29 electrons per cubic meter and if they are uniformly dispersed throughout the wire, then what is the average velocity of an electron?

Can someone please help?

Homework Equations

I don't know where to start.

The Attempt at a Solution

Welcome to the PF.

What is the equation that relates current I to the flow of charge Q per unit time T?

And if you start with that equation, then you need to take into account how much charge there is per electron, and how many electrons are flowing...

The numbers you are given are useful, because they tell you the density of the electrons, and the cross-sectional area of the conductor...

1. How is average velocity of an electron defined?

The average velocity of an electron is defined as the total displacement of an electron divided by the total time it takes to travel that distance.

2. What is the formula for calculating average velocity of an electron?

The formula for calculating average velocity of an electron is: average velocity = (final position - initial position) / time.

3. How do I measure the displacement of an electron?

The displacement of an electron can be measured by recording the initial and final positions of the electron and calculating the difference between the two positions.

4. Is it possible to find the average velocity of an electron in a specific direction?

Yes, it is possible to find the average velocity of an electron in a specific direction by calculating the displacement in that direction and dividing it by the total time.

5. What is the unit of measurement for average velocity of an electron?

The unit of measurement for average velocity of an electron is meters per second (m/s).