How do I solve these steps for this question about non-bonding valence electrons?

pachsiisjj
Homework Statement
I can't seem to solve this question
Relevant Equations
Don't know where to start
This question has me puzzled, I can't seem to solve it. Or where to start?

Attachments

• hyd7bcn5owtb1.jpg
    hyd7bcn5owtb1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 37
Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you got it from? It doesn't make much sense with all these three valent oxygens and no charges.

1. What are non-bonding valence electrons?

Non-bonding valence electrons are the outermost electrons in an atom that are not involved in chemical bonding with other atoms. They are also known as lone pair electrons or non-bonding pairs.

2. How do non-bonding valence electrons affect chemical bonding?

Non-bonding valence electrons can influence the shape and polarity of molecules, as well as the strength of intermolecular forces. They can also participate in reactions as they can be easily donated or shared with other atoms.

3. How do I determine the number of non-bonding valence electrons in an atom?

The number of non-bonding valence electrons can be determined by subtracting the number of bonded electrons (represented by lines or dots in Lewis structures) from the total number of valence electrons for that atom. The total number of valence electrons can be found by referring to the periodic table.

4. How do I identify non-bonding valence electrons in a Lewis structure?

In a Lewis structure, non-bonding valence electrons are represented by lone pairs (dots) around the atom. They are usually placed on the outermost energy level of the atom and are not shared with any other atom.

5. How do I use the concept of non-bonding valence electrons to predict the reactivity of an atom?

Atoms with a higher number of non-bonding valence electrons tend to be more reactive as they have a higher tendency to donate or share these electrons. This can result in the formation of new bonds and the creation of more stable molecules.