How do we model metal nanoparticles for MD simulations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of modeling metal nanoparticles with organic agents and the need for computational chemistry skills. The speaker suggests using Density Functional Theory and describes different software options for quantum chemistry and creating nanoparticles. They also mention using molecular dynamics and suggest NAMD as a tool. The conversation ends with a discussion on the use of FOSS for the research.
tesla_sm
I am trying to model metal NPs capped with organic agents to simulate their phase transfer behavior from aqueous to organic. Not doing computational chemistry courses has had me to disadvantage. Would love some initiation or a jump start primer for the same.

Looking forward for cues to get me working. Thanks.

Since you're working with metals, you might have to employ Density Functional Theory, and even that will be difficult! Depending on the size of your system and your computing resources, you have a few different options. Whether you decide to do that or not, here's a good introduction to the theory behind it (go to Youtube for the full playlist):

I don't know if molecular dynamics (MD) software will do what you need, from the limited knowledge I have it's usually completely organic systems modeled with molecular dynamics. But if you end up needing to do quantum chemistry, a couple good places to start are the program ORCA (which has the best documentation I've ever seen), or the program Firefly (which has less experimental algorithms than ORCA, and may be faster for your purposes). If you need something to create your nanoparticles with, I've used Avogadro and Gabedit before, and have liked them both (I think Gabedit has an ORCA input file maker, too, which is nice).

Since I don't know your topic well enough, I can't promise this is right, but if you're looking for a reaction or change of phase, using the softwares mentioned above you may want to do transition state searches.

Good luck!

Likes tesla_sm
ModestyKing said:
Since you're working with metals, you might have to employ Density Functional Theory, and even that will be difficult! Depending on the size of your system and your computing resources, you have a few different options. Whether you decide to do that or not, here's a good introduction to the theory behind it (go to Youtube for the full playlist):

I don't know if molecular dynamics (MD) software will do what you need, from the limited knowledge I have it's usually completely organic systems modeled with molecular dynamics. But if you end up needing to do quantum chemistry, a couple good places to start are the program ORCA (which has the best documentation I've ever seen), or the program Firefly (which has less experimental algorithms than ORCA, and may be faster for your purposes). If you need something to create your nanoparticles with, I've used Avogadro and Gabedit before, and have liked them both (I think Gabedit has an ORCA input file maker, too, which is nice).

Since I don't know your topic well enough, I can't promise this is right, but if you're looking for a reaction or change of phase, using the softwares mentioned above you may want to do transition state searches.

Good luck!

Thanks ModestyKing for the insight. I consulted my university professor regarding the same, for which we came down to simplifying the problem so as to reduce computational requirements. We intend to employ 'hard sphere'/'billiard ball' model for the metal nanoparticles - since we are not really studying the interaction of metal nanoparticle with medium, but the stablizing/capping agent on it - however, when I began calculating and generating the biphasic medium using small molecule building software as packmol and VMD, I realized that the number of molecules is too large even if I want to simulate single nanoparticle of diameter 10 nm ~ 12nm. I am definitely going to look into ORCA and Firefly though I am pretty certain we are not looking into quantum chemistry perspective at this stage. We will mostly be looking at classical model interpretation of vdW fields.

I did a fairly exhausting literature survey on the topic and have finally come down to a simplified system to start the work with, for which I need some direction in creating a 'patchy hard sphere' for my nanoparticle. Would there be any tool that you know of that can make hard sphere model, because molecular builders such as VMDs Molefacture doesn't seem to have such features.

Thanks again. Meanwhile I will be looking into Avogadro and Gabedit.

I can't remember if Avogadro and Gabedit have a nanoparticle builder, but one has a nanotube builder, so it stands to reason they may also do nanoparticles. One professor of mine simulated a buckyball (C60 nanoparticle) using quantum mechanically driven molecular dynamics with the software TeraChem, which uses GPUs to severely speed up simulations, and it works with VMD to illustrate the particles.

However, if you are not using that (it's an expensive commercial software), it would be nice to know - do you mean you want to do molecular dynamics calculations (hard spheres and "springs" representing bonds, with VdW and electrostatic interactions), or you are going to make your own program? If it's MD calculations, the main tool for that is NAMD, but AMBER is also helpful. I don't know enough about MD yet (starting research with it now), so I might not be able to help more. Good luck!

I don't thinks this work lies completely in the purview of Molecular Dynamics, but since the experiment needs to solve for energetics of equilibration of particles in a biphasic medium I don't know what other technique can help me out. As I saw Avogadro too, it is pretty same as Molfacture that comes with VMD. The current state of my problem is not of making nanoparticle like a molecule, but just as ball. If so to say a constant void of dimension of nanoparticle should work too if I can program that void surface to have that property as that of the surface of nanoparticle+capping agent.

Yes, I am inclined on using NAMD only, and I myself have started this research a couple weeks back now. I am not sure about the AMBER package, it is also a commercial licence, while I am trying my best to use FOSS for the work unless its dearly required otherwise. I'll post any update or progress I make. Thanks again.

Good Luck to you too.

1. What is the purpose of modeling metal nanoparticles for MD simulations?

The purpose of modeling metal nanoparticles for MD simulations is to gain a better understanding of their behavior and properties at the atomic level. This can provide valuable insights into their potential applications in fields such as catalysis, sensor technology, and nanoelectronics.

2. What are the key factors to consider when modeling metal nanoparticles for MD simulations?

The key factors to consider when modeling metal nanoparticles for MD simulations include the choice of interatomic potential, the size and shape of the nanoparticles, the surrounding environment, and the simulation parameters such as temperature and pressure.

3. How do we select an appropriate interatomic potential for modeling metal nanoparticles?

The selection of an appropriate interatomic potential for modeling metal nanoparticles depends on the specific metal and its properties, as well as the accuracy and computational efficiency required for the simulation. Commonly used potentials include molecular mechanics force fields and density functional theory methods.

4. What techniques are used to incorporate the effects of the surrounding environment in MD simulations of metal nanoparticles?

To incorporate the effects of the surrounding environment in MD simulations of metal nanoparticles, techniques such as implicit solvent models, explicit solvent models, and periodic boundary conditions can be used. These methods take into account the interactions between the nanoparticles and their surrounding medium, such as water or gas.

5. How do we validate the accuracy of MD simulations of metal nanoparticles?

The accuracy of MD simulations of metal nanoparticles can be validated by comparing the simulation results with experimental data or other theoretical calculations. This can include properties such as the structure, stability, and dynamics of the nanoparticles. Additionally, sensitivity analysis and convergence tests can be performed to assess the robustness of the simulation results.