How Do You Calculate Energy Loss in a Damped Harmonic Oscillator?

In summary, the displacement amplitude of a lightly damped oscillator with a mass of 0.250kg and a spring constant of 6400N/m decreases by 15% in five minutes. Using the equations for calculating omega initial and gama, we can determine the fraction of initial mechanical energy that has been converted to other forms in the five-minute interval and the Q value of the damped oscillator. At maximum displacement, the kinetic energy is zero and the potential energy is equal to 1/2kA^2. By finding the percentage of A lost and using it to calculate b, we can then determine the percentage of initial total energy that has been converted to other forms.
captainemeric

Homework Statement

The displacement amplitude of a lightly damped oscillator with m=0.250kg and k=6400N/m is observed to decrease by 15% in exactly five minutes
a) Calculate the fraction (in%0 of the initial mechanical energy of the oscillator that has been converted to other forms of energy (such as thermal energy) in the five-minute interval.
b)Calculate the Q value of this damped oscillator by first calculation omega initial and gama

Homework Equations

omega initial = sqrt(k/m)
gama = b/m
x = A initial exp^(gama t/2)
TE = 1/2kA initial exp^(-gamat)
A(t) = A inital exp^(bt/2m)
T = 2pisqrt(m/k)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated omega inital = 160rads and the period to be .04s. I know there is the relationship between the displacement amplitude and the total energy but I cannot seem to figure out how to relate them. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
At maximum displacement, what are the kinetic and potential energies of the oscillator?

At maximum displacement, the kinetic energy should be zero. Should I be able to solve for the potential energy? I am so confused as to how to approach this. I know I have been given enough info but I feel like I don't have enough to find any additional values.

So at maximum displacement the entire energy is the potential energy. What is the potential energy of a spring?

1/2ka^2. How do i find this without being given a?

What is a? What is amplitude?

Ok, so I finally figured out I can find the % of TE in relation to the % of A lost. Which I can also use to find b which I can then use to find Q.
A=Ainital exp^bt/2m where A/Ainital will equal .85 then the only unknown is b.
And TE goes as A^2 so if A is 85% then TE is .85^2 or ~72%

Related to How Do You Calculate Energy Loss in a Damped Harmonic Oscillator?

1. What is a damped harmonic oscillator?

A damped harmonic oscillator is a type of physical system that exhibits oscillatory motion around an equilibrium point, but with the amplitude of the oscillations decreasing over time due to the presence of damping forces.

2. What are the factors that affect the behavior of a damped harmonic oscillator?

The behavior of a damped harmonic oscillator is affected by the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, and the amount of damping present in the system.

3. How does damping affect the motion of a damped harmonic oscillator?

The presence of damping forces in a damped harmonic oscillator results in the gradual decrease of the amplitude of the oscillations. This leads to a decrease in the total energy of the system over time.

4. What is the equation of motion for a damped harmonic oscillator?

The equation of motion for a damped harmonic oscillator is given by: m(d^2x/dt^2) + b(dx/dt) + kx = 0, where m is the mass, b is the damping coefficient, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from equilibrium position.

5. What are some real-life examples of damped harmonic oscillators?

Damped harmonic oscillators can be found in many real-life systems such as a swinging pendulum, a car's suspension system, a door closer, or a guitar string. These systems exhibit oscillatory motion that eventually comes to rest due to the presence of damping forces.