How Do You Calculate Mass Defect and Binding Energy in Nuclear Physics?

In summary, when calculating the mass defect in nuclear physics, it is ideal to use nuclear masses but atomic masses can also be used as long as the electron binding energies are negligible. The binding energy can be calculated using E=mc2, with m representing the difference in mass between the products and reactants.
Oli9116
Hi i just wanted to clarify a few things to do with nuclear physics so if anyone could help me that would be great.

1. When calculating the mass defect do you use the given mass (the one the periodic table or the data sheet) - the mass of the protons, neutrons AND electrons or do you just forget about the mass of the electrons?

2.When calculating the binding energy using E=mc2 is the m the mass defect?

If anyone could help clarify these that would be great and if I'm totally of track if you can explain the concept to me I would really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oli9116 said:
Hi i just wanted to clarify a few things to do with nuclear physics so if anyone could help me that would be great.

1. When calculating the mass defect do you use the given mass (the one the periodic table or the data sheet) - the mass of the protons, neutrons AND electrons or do you just forget about the mass of the electrons?

2.When calculating the binding energy using E=mc2 is the m the mass defect?

If anyone could help clarify these that would be great and if I'm totally of track if you can explain the concept to me I would really appreciate it.

When calculating the nuclear mass defect, ideally one should use the nuclear masses rather than atomic masses. However, atomic masses can be used since the masses of the electrons should cancel. This approach is reasonably accurate for light nuclei where the electron binding energies are on the order of eV. However, for heavy elements where the K,L binding energies are on the order of keV, the error for fission calculations could be on the order of keV.

Using E = mc2, the m is actually a Δm which is the difference in mass (products) - mass (reactants). For example, if one does an alpha decay, 92U238 => 90Th234 + 2He4

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nucene/nucbin.html#c1
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/radser.html#c3

Hi there! I would be happy to help clarify these questions for you.

1. When calculating the mass defect, you only need to consider the mass of the protons and neutrons. This is because the mass defect is the difference between the mass of the nucleus and the sum of the masses of its individual protons and neutrons. The mass of the electrons is very small in comparison, so it can be ignored in these calculations.

2. Yes, when using E=mc2 to calculate binding energy, the "m" represents the mass defect. This is because the binding energy is the energy released when the nucleus is formed from individual protons and neutrons, and this energy is equivalent to the mass difference between the nucleus and its individual particles.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Nuclear physics can be a complex topic, so it's always good to ask for clarification when needed. Best of luck with your studies!

Related to How Do You Calculate Mass Defect and Binding Energy in Nuclear Physics?

1. What is nuclear physics?

Nuclear physics is a branch of physics that studies the properties and behavior of atomic nuclei, which are the central part of atoms. It also deals with the interactions between particles within the nucleus, such as protons and neutrons, and the forces that hold them together.

2. What are the basic components of an atom?

An atom is made up of three main components: protons, neutrons, and electrons. Protons and neutrons are found in the nucleus of an atom, while electrons orbit around the nucleus in shells or energy levels.

3. How are nuclear reactions different from chemical reactions?

Nuclear reactions involve changes in the nucleus of an atom, while chemical reactions involve changes in the arrangement of electrons. Nuclear reactions release significantly more energy than chemical reactions and are not affected by external factors such as temperature and pressure.

4. What is nuclear fission and fusion?

Nuclear fission is the process of splitting a heavy nucleus into two or more smaller nuclei, releasing a large amount of energy. Nuclear fusion is the process of combining two or more lighter nuclei to form a heavier nucleus, also releasing a large amount of energy.

5. How is nuclear energy harnessed for electricity production?

Nuclear energy is harnessed through nuclear power plants, which use nuclear reactions to generate heat. This heat is then used to produce steam, which drives turbines to generate electricity. Nuclear energy is a clean and efficient source of electricity, but it also poses potential risks and challenges for waste management and safety.