How Do You Evaluate dw/dt at t=0 Using the Chain Rule Results?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative of w with respect to t using the chain rule, and then evaluating it at a specific value of t. The solution for part A is 1/y*exp(t) +(- x/y^2+1/z)*(5*cos(5t)) + (-y/z^2)*(-7sin(7t)), while part B involves plugging in t=0 and rewriting x, y, and z in terms of t before evaluating the equation.
Whatupdoc
Suppose w = x/y + y/z

x = exp(t), y=2+sin(5t), and z= 2+cos(7t)

A.) Use the chain rule to find dw/dt as a function of x, y, z, and t. Do not rewrite x, y, and z in terms of t, and do not rewrite exp(t) as x. I got this one right, the answer is 1/y*exp(t) +(- x/y^2+1/z)*(5*cos(5t)) + (-y/z^2)*(-7sin(7t)).

i need help on B.

B.) Use part A to evaluate dw/dt when t=0
i just plugged in zeros for t, but i get an answer with the variables y and z, which i shouldn't have. what am i suppose to do for this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Whatupdoc said:
Suppose w = x/y + y/z

x = exp(t), y=2+sin(5t), and z= 2+cos(7t)

A.) Use the chain rule to find dw/dt as a function of x, y, z, and t. Do not rewrite x, y, and z in terms of t, and do not rewrite exp(t) as x. I got this one right, the answer is 1/y*exp(t) +(- x/y^2+1/z)*(5*cos(5t)) + (-y/z^2)*(-7sin(7t)).

i need help on B.

B.) Use part A to evaluate dw/dt when t=0
i just plugged in zeros for t, but i get an answer with the variables y and z, which i shouldn't have. what am i suppose to do for this question?

Well x, y and z are functions of t aren't they? So when you set t=0, you've GOT to write x, y and z in terms of t, and then set t=0 in the resulting equation.

yup, thanks alot

Related to How Do You Evaluate dw/dt at t=0 Using the Chain Rule Results?

1. What is the chain rule in calculus?

The chain rule is a rule in calculus that allows you to calculate the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. How do you find the derivative using the chain rule?

To find the derivative using the chain rule, you must first identify the outer function and the inner function. Then, you can use the chain rule formula to take the derivative of the outer function and the inner function separately, and then multiply them together.

3. Why is the chain rule important?

The chain rule is important because it allows us to find the derivative of more complex functions that are composed of simpler functions. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in many real-world applications, including physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can the chain rule be applied to any composite function?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to any composite function, as long as the inner and outer functions are differentiable. It is a general rule that can be used to find the derivative of any composite function.

5. How do you use the chain rule to find dw/dt?

To find dw/dt using the chain rule, you first need to identify the composite function that represents w in terms of t. Then, you can use the chain rule formula to calculate the derivative of w with respect to t. This will give you the value of dw/dt.