How Do You Solve the Integral of 2/(x^2-1)dx?

• Thread starter masonm127
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: C.In summary, the integral of 2/(x^2-1)dx is equal to -ln(x+1)+ln(x-1), which is also equal to tanh^-1. To evaluate the integral over infinity and 2, one must use limits and write the integral as log(|1+x|). One possible approach is to use partial fractions decomposition or a trigonometric substitution.
masonm127
Integral of 2/(x^2-1)dx HELP!

Homework Statement

Evaluate: ∫2/(x2-1)dx

Homework Equations

Inverse trig functions arent working.
∫1/x+1dx=ln(1+x)

The Attempt at a Solution

My tutor and i both attemped the solution many ways, and are still at a stand still.
According to my calculator and wolfram alpha, the answer is -ln(x+1/x-1)
The closest i have gotten is 2∫[itex]1/((x+1)(x-1))[/itex]dx

Physics news on Phys.org

Did you try using partial fractions?

if you multiply by -1 I think you can use tanh^-1

Thanks! partial fractions worked! didn't even think about that. the solution came out to be -ln(x+1)+ln(x-1), which is apparently equal to -ln((x+1)/(x-1))

and also apparently equal to tanh^-1

The full question is to find the integral over infinity and 2, so i have to use limits. I am getting an undefined answer since ln of infinity minus ln infinity is undefined. does that sound right?

masonm127 said:
The full question is to find the integral over infinity and 2, so i have to use limits. I am getting an undefined answer since ln of infinity minus ln infinity is undefined. does that sound right?

Not right. You should really be writing things like the integral of 1/(1+x) as log(|1+x|). Since it's an improper integral, to work out the infinity part of your limit you need to think about the limit as x->infinity of log(|1+x|/|1-x|). What's that?

should be zero right? Not used to using log to write things, its just something our teacher never really told us to do. makes sense though

Although my choice would be partial fractions decomposition, a trig substitution will also work here, with secθ = x, secθtanθdθ = dx. The resulting integral is
[tex]2\int csc\theta d\theta[/tex]

Related to How Do You Solve the Integral of 2/(x^2-1)dx?

1. What is the integral of 2/(x^2-1)?

The integral of 2/(x^2-1) is equal to ln(abs(x+1)/abs(x-1)) + C, where C is a constant of integration.

2. How do I solve the integral of 2/(x^2-1)?

To solve the integral of 2/(x^2-1), you can use the substitution method. Let u = x^2-1 and du = 2x dx. Then the integral becomes ∫(1/u)du, which can be easily solved using the power rule.

3. Can the integral of 2/(x^2-1) be solved using the quotient rule?

No, the quotient rule is used for differentiating, not integrating. To solve the integral of 2/(x^2-1), you can use the substitution method or partial fractions method.

4. Are there any special cases when solving the integral of 2/(x^2-1)?

Yes, when x^2-1 = 0, the integral is undefined. This occurs when x = ±1. In this case, the integral will not exist.

5. Can the integral of 2/(x^2-1) be solved using a calculator?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a built-in integral function that can be used to solve the integral of 2/(x^2-1). Simply enter the function and specify the lower and upper limits of integration to get the result.