Pogo Stick and Spring Constants

In summary, the child's maximum upward speed is 5.63 m/s and their kinetic energy is a maximum when the acceleration is zero at x = 0.
techninja
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/75/43802nv4.jpg

A child's pogo stick (see figure) stores energy in a spring of spring constant k = 40000 N/m. At position A, x1 = -0.150 m, the spring compression is a maximum and the child is momentarily at rest. At position B, the spring is relaxed and the child is moving upward. At position C, the child is again momentarily at rest at the top of the jump. Assuming that the combined mass of child and pogo stick is 26.0 kg, answer the following:

(a) Calculate the total energy of the system if both potential energies are zero at x = 0

I did this through:
[tex]
ME_i = U_s + U_g = \frac{1}{2}kx^2+mgh = 411.78 J
[/tex]

(b) Determine x2

I did this through:
[tex]
ME_i = ME_f = U_g
ME_i = mgh[/tex]
[tex]
x_2 = \frac{ME_i}{mg} = 1.62 m
[/tex]

(c) Calculate the speed of the child at x = 0

I did this through:
[tex]
ME_i = \frac{1}{2}mv^2
v = \sqrt{\frac{2ME_i}{m}} = 5.63 m/s
[/tex]

(d) Determine the value of x for which the kinetic energy of the system is a maximum.
Hint: The kinetic energy (and velocity) is a maximum when the acceleration is zero at that point.

This one, I tried very hard... but I can't do it.

I get:
[tex]
v = \sqrt{\frac{2(1378-mgh)}{m}}
a = \frac{1}{m\sqrt{\frac{2h}{m}}}
[/tex]

Tex hates me. It should look something like v = sqrt([2(1378-mgh)]/m), so a = 1/(m*sqrt(2h/m))

Which doesn't seem to work out nicely.

(e) Obtain the child's maximum upward speed

I think I could do this with information from D, but ... I'm not sure.

Any help is muchly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
techninja said:
(d) Determine the value of x for which the kinetic energy of the system is a maximum.
Hint: The kinetic energy (and velocity) is a maximum when the acceleration is zero at that point.

This one, I tried very hard... but I can't do it.
This is easier than you think. First realize that as soon as the system passes x = 0, the speed can only decrease. So the max speed must occur before that point. Use your expression for total ME as a function of position and solve for the value of x that maximizes KE. (For KE to be max, PE must be min.)

For an even easier solution, use your own idea that the acceleration must be zero: For the acceleration to be zero, the net force must be zero. Where is that point?

Doc Al said:
This is easier than you think. First realize that as soon as the system passes x = 0, the speed can only decrease. So the max speed must occur before that point. Use your expression for total ME as a function of position and solve for the value of x that maximizes KE. (For KE to be max, PE must be min.)

For an even easier solution, use your own idea that the acceleration must be zero: For the acceleration to be zero, the net force must be zero. Where is that point?

I'm not sure what you mean. If I try to find position, I end up with:

[tex]
KE = ME_i - mgh[/tex]

Where ME_i is a constant, as are m and g. Thus, I get a linear equation.

For the latter comment, I'm not sure how the free-body diagram should then be drawn as. There's force of gravity going downwards, but isn't kinetic energy upwards in units of joules? How can I change that?

techninja said:
If I try to find position, I end up with:

[tex]
KE = ME_i - mgh[/tex]

Where ME_i is a constant, as are m and g. Thus, I get a linear equation.
Don't forget spring PE, which is also a function of position.

For the latter comment, I'm not sure how the free-body diagram should then be drawn as. There's force of gravity going downwards, but isn't kinetic energy upwards in units of joules? How can I change that?
(1) KE is not a force. And energy is a scalar, not a vector--it has no direction. (You probably mean that the velocity is upwards, but that's also irrelevant.)
(2) There are two forces acting on the system. Gravity is one. What's the other?

Thank you verily much! It suddenly makes sense! (I was wondering why the spring constant was perfectly related to part d)

I still don't understand the second approach, however. Is it possible to find the other force? (Which I assume is just... force imparted upwards?)

techninja said:
I still don't understand the second approach, however. Is it possible to find the other force?
Of course it is. What is exerting the upward force on the system? (Hint: It's the same thing you missed with the first approach!)

Note: The two approaches are just different ways of doing the same thing.

1. What is a pogo stick?

A pogo stick is a recreational device that consists of a metal or plastic pole with a handle at the top, a footrest on the bottom, and one or more springs attached to the middle. It is used to bounce up and down by pushing down on the handle while standing on the footrest.

2. How does a pogo stick work?

A pogo stick works by utilizing the spring constant of the attached springs. The spring constant is a measure of how much force is needed to compress or stretch a spring. When the user pushes down on the handle, the springs compress, storing potential energy. This energy is then released, pushing the user back up into the air.

3. What is the purpose of knowing the spring constant when using a pogo stick?

Knowing the spring constant is important because it allows the user to adjust the pogo stick to their preferred level of bounce. By changing the tension of the springs, the user can make the pogo stick more or less difficult to bounce on, depending on their skill level and preferences.

4. Can the spring constant of a pogo stick be changed?

Yes, the spring constant of a pogo stick can be changed by adjusting the tension of the springs. This can be done by either tightening or loosening the springs, depending on the desired effect. Some pogo sticks also come with adjustable tension settings.

5. Are there different types of pogo sticks with varying spring constants?

Yes, there are different types of pogo sticks with varying spring constants. Some pogo sticks have a single spring, while others have multiple springs. The materials and design of the springs also play a role in determining the spring constant. Pogo sticks designed for different age groups or skill levels may also have different spring constants.