How Does Adding Weight to a Forklift's Forks Affect the Load on the Rear Axle?

In summary, the conversation discusses the distribution of weight on a forklift truck when a uniform block of lesser weight is placed on its front forks. The experts advise to carefully choose the axis for taking moments and to pay attention to signs when using the equation M = Fd. They also suggest distinguishing between load options and considering the moments of all forces acting on the truck and load system. It is clarified that the weight of the truck itself does not change when a load is added.
longnh

Homework Statement

A forklift truck of weight W has dimensions shown in the figure below. Its centre of gravity G is mid-way between the front and the rear axles.

9uzmtQB.jpg

When a uniform block of
weight w (w < W) is placed on the front forks as shown, how the load on the rear axle will change?

Homework Equations

Will the truck's center of gravity G change?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use M = F.d, but I don't know which items are constant, and which ones change.

Please help. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
When taking moments, it helps to choose the axis you take moments about carefully. Where would you think is the best place here?

Likes longnh
M = F d is the relevant equation indeed. Do pay attention to the signs !

General remark: before doing 'real work', you can skip answers (c) (because that's not a load but a number) and (d) (it certainly won't increase).

In fact, you can also distinguish between (a) and (b) in a lazy way: what happens with the load if w comes close to W ?

To help you with your 'relevant equation' : G stays in the same place for the truck itself. So there are two torques to consider: from the truck and from the load.

Likes longnh
Thank you guys for tipping.

In a lazy way, the answer should be (a). w/2 but I cannot find a solution to that result.

Consider G stays unchanged.

At early state: M1=M2
<=> F1.d = F2.d
<=> W1 = W2 = W/2

When that block is loaded, we have M'1=M'2
<=> F1.d + F.2d = F'2.d
<=> (W/2).d + w.2d = (W'/2).d
<=> :nb):L:L:L

longnh said:
Thank you guys for tipping.

In a lazy way, the answer should be (a). w/2 but I cannot find a solution to that result.

Consider G stays unchanged.

At early state: M1=M2
<=> F1.d = F2.d
<=> W1 = W2 = W/2

When that block is loaded, we have M'1=M'2
<=> F1.d + F.2d = F'2.d
<=> (W/2).d + w.2d = (W'/2).d
<=> :nb):L:L:L
Please state what point you are taking moments about. If it is the centre of mass of the truck then you have a distance wrong.
As BvU posted, be careful with signs. Best way is to pick a direction (left or right) as positive and measure each distance from the axis to the force using the appropraite sign. Doing things that way you write that the sum of moments is zero.
Another approach is just to stop and think which moments are clockwise and which are anticlockwise and write that the sum of the clockwise equals the sum of the anticlockwise.

Likes longnh
Yes, haruspex, because the truck didn't rotate, sum of counterclockwise moments (front wheels) equals to clockwise moment (at rear wheels). So I have M'1 = M'2 written above.

If I choose an axis with positive direction from left to right, then ∑M = 0 ⇔ (W'/2).d - w.2d - (W/2).d, which is the same as my equation above.

The equation ∑M = M1 - M2 and M1 = M2 are alternative.

The thing that matters is if that block is loaded, is the whole weight of the truck changed, too? Or we consider that w doesn't affect W?
haruspex said:
Please state what point you are taking moments about. If it is the centre of mass of the truck then you have a distance wrong.
As BvU posted, be careful with signs. Best way is to pick a direction (left or right) as positive and measure each distance from the axis to the force using the appropraite sign. Doing things that way you write that the sum of moments is zero.
Another approach is just to stop and think which moments are clockwise and which are anticlockwise and write that the sum of the clockwise equals the sum of the anticlockwise.

longnh said:
The thing that matters is if that block is loaded, is the whole weight of the truck changed, too? Or we consider that w doesn't affect W?

Weight means mass times g here, the force of gravity. The weight of the truck itself does not change if load is added.

Consider the moments (torques) of all forces acting on the truck+load system. They are the forces of gravity W and w acting at the centres of mass, and the upward normal forces acting between the ground and the wheels. Load on the rear axle is equal in magnitude with the normal force acting on the real wheel. Choose the front axle and write the moments of all forces with respect to it.

longnh said:
Yes, haruspex, because the truck didn't rotate, sum of counterclockwise moments (front wheels) equals to clockwise moment (at rear wheels). So I have M'1 = M'2 written above.

If I choose an axis with positive direction from left to right, then ∑M = 0 ⇔ (W'/2).d - w.2d - (W/2).d, which is the same as my equation above.

You're still not saying what point you are taking moments about. Is it the mass centre of the (unloaded) truck? The front wheels?

longnh said:

You're still not saying what point you are taking moments about. Is it the mass centre of the (unloaded) truck? The front wheels?

I'm talking about the mass center of the unloaded truck.

haruspex said:

longnh said:
I'm talking about the mass center of the unloaded truck.
Thankyou.
There are a couple of problems with the equation you get in post #4.
First, there are four forces acting on the truck: gravity of the truck, the weight of the load w, and the normal force at each wheel.
Gravity on the truck has no momentabout the truck's mass centre, so you can ignore that. The load on the rear axle is equal to the normal force from the road there. Therefore your F1, F2 should be the normal forces from the road. In that light, reconsider the signs in the equation.
Next, you must not assume that one of those normal forces is unchanged by the load.
By the way, it might be a little quicker if you take moments about the front axle instead. That will avoid bringing the normal force on the front axle into the equation.

Likes longnh
I might see it now.

I used to think that the pivot was that G point, but I was wrong. If the truck was rotated, the pivot would be the front axle.

At the front axle point: w.d = F2.2d ⇔ F2 = w/2

Thank you!

haruspex said:
Thankyou.
There are a couple of problems with the equation you get in post #4.
First, there are four forces acting on the truck: gravity of the truck, the weight of the load w, and the normal force at each wheel.
Gravity on the truck has no momentabout the truck's mass centre, so you can ignore that. The load on the rear axle is equal to the normal force from the road there. Therefore your F1, F2 should be the normal forces from the road. In that light, reconsider the signs in the equation.
Next, you must not assume that one of those normal forces is unchanged by the load.
By the way, it might be a little quicker if you take moments about the front axle instead. That will avoid bringing the normal force on the front axle into the equation.

longnh said:
I might see it now.

I used to think that the pivot was that G point, but I was wrong. If the truck was rotated, the pivot would be the front axle.
You can make the pivot point for the equation wheever you like, but some choices are more convenient than others.
Using the mass centre works, but the equation involves w and the normal force at each axle. You then need to use the statics equation for the sum of vertical forces to get a second equation involving the two normal forces at the axles and manipulate the equations to eliminate the one of no interest (the normal force at front axle).
At the front axle point: w.d = F2.2d ⇔ F2 = w/2
That depends what you mean by F2.
If we write F for the new normal force at the rear axle and take moments about the front axle we get an equation involving w, F and W.

Likes longnh

1. What is the definition of "Turning Effects of Force"?

The turning effect of force, also known as torque, is the tendency of a force to rotate an object around an axis. It is dependent on the magnitude of the force, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the angle at which the force is applied.

2. How is the turning effect of force calculated?

The turning effect of force is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This can be represented by the equation T = F x d, where T is the torque, F is the force, and d is the distance.

3. What is the difference between clockwise and counterclockwise turning effects of force?

The direction of the turning effect of force is dependent on the direction of the force in relation to the axis of rotation. If the force is applied in a direction that would cause the object to rotate in a clockwise direction, the turning effect is considered positive. If the force is applied in a direction that would cause the object to rotate in a counterclockwise direction, the turning effect is considered negative.

4. How does the position of the axis of rotation affect the turning effect of force?

The position of the axis of rotation relative to the point where the force is applied can greatly affect the turning effect of force. If the axis of rotation is closer to the point of application of the force, the turning effect will be greater. If the axis of rotation is further away, the turning effect will be smaller.

5. What are some real-life examples of the turning effects of force?

The turning effect of force can be seen in many everyday situations, such as opening a door, using a wrench to tighten a bolt, or turning a steering wheel. It is also important in more complex systems, such as the rotation of gears in machinery or the movement of a lever in a simple machine.