How Does Charge Density Affect Electric Field Calculations?

In summary, the problem involves finding the electric field produced by a straight, nonconducting plastic wire with a uniform charge density at a point 5.50 cm above its midpoint and a point 5.50 cm above its center when bent into a circle. This is done by using the equation for electric field and integrating across the length of the wire, taking into account the varying angle between the position of the point and the infinitesimal contributions from the wire.
Crusaderking1

Homework Statement

A straight, nonconducting plastic wire 8.00 cm long carries a charge density of 125 nC/m distributed uniformly along its length. It is lying on a horizontal tabletop.

A) Find the magnitude and direction of the electric field this wire produces at a point 5.50 cm directly above its midpoint.

B) If the wire is now bent into a circle lying flat on the table, find the magnitude and direction of the electric field it produces at a point 5.50 cm directly above its center.

I have tried to figure it out, but I am having some issues.

Homework Equations

theta = r/(L/s)

E = Q/2πrεoL = ρL/2πrL = ρ/2πεor

The Attempt at a Solution

E = 125*10^-9/((2pi(0.055)8.85*10^-12 = 4.0871*10^4

Ey = Esin(theta)

theta = r/(L/s) = arctan(2*0.055)/0.08 =arctan(1.375) = 53.97 degrees

Ey= 4.0871*10^4 * sin53.97 degrees = 3.31*10^4

Alternatively, would I do arctan again for 53.57 degrees for 88.938 degrees? Then multiply it by 4.0871*10^4? The answer would be 4.086*10^4

Is this right?? Please help me.

b)

r= L/2pi = 0.08/2pi = 0.0126 m

d = square root(0.0126^2+0.055^2) = 0.0564 m

Ey = Esin(theta)

theta = arctan(0.055)/(0.0126m) = 77.1 degrees

Ey = PL/4piEor^2 = 125*10^-9 * 0.08 / 4pi(8.85*10^-12(0.055^2) = 2.97*10^4

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is usually easier to think about to put your rod in an explicit coordinate system - I'd suggest along the z axis of cylindrical-polar coordinates with the com of the rod at z=0.

So the rod goes from -4 to 4 cm, and you want the field at point P=(r,θ,z)=(5.5,0,0).

You need to sum the infinitesimal contributions across the length of the rod - like this:[tex]E=\int_{z=-4}^{z=4}d\vec{E}[/tex]
Where dE is contribution to the field at P due to an arbitrary bit of the rod at position Z=(0,0,z), length dz. At that position, for example, Q(z)=ρdz where ρ is the linear charge density. The square distance will be |ZP|2 = (z2+5.52) ... from which you get the magnitude.

Since this will be a vector sum, you need to resolve into components - pick radial and z-axis components. You'll find the sum of the z-axis components will be zero.

I think where you are going wrong, if I read you right, is that you have fixed your theta when it will actually vary with z. Express the sine as a function of z and you'll get there. I've just used theta as a coordinate label so I have to change notation:

If [itex]\alpha[/itex] is the angle between [itex]\vec{ZR}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{OZ}[/itex] [recall O=(0,0,0)] then [itex]\int dE\sin\alpha = 0[/itex] and [itex]\cos\alpha[/itex] is determined from trigonometry.

Note: it will help you understand if you draw a picture.

Last edited:
Alright, thank you very much for the detailed and well-written response. I have a much better idea on what is actually happening.

Related to How Does Charge Density Affect Electric Field Calculations?

1. What is charge density?

Charge density is a measure of the amount of electric charge per unit volume of a material or object. It is typically denoted by the symbol ρ and is measured in coulombs per cubic meter (C/m3).

2. How is charge density calculated?

Charge density can be calculated by dividing the total charge of an object by its volume. For example, if an object has a charge of 10 coulombs and a volume of 2 cubic meters, its charge density would be 5 C/m3.

3. What is the difference between linear and volumetric charge density?

Linear charge density refers to the amount of charge per unit length, while volumetric charge density refers to the amount of charge per unit volume. Linear charge density is typically denoted by the symbol λ and is measured in coulombs per meter (C/m), while volumetric charge density is denoted by ρ and is measured in C/m3.

4. How does charge density affect electric fields?

Charge density plays a significant role in determining the strength of electric fields. The higher the charge density, the stronger the electric field will be. This is because a higher charge density means there is a greater concentration of charge, leading to a stronger force of attraction or repulsion between charges.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding charge density?

Understanding charge density is crucial in a variety of fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used in the design of electronic devices, such as capacitors and batteries, and is also important in studying electrostatic phenomena and electric fields in materials. Additionally, charge density is a key concept in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules in chemical reactions.