How does friction affect data in a modified Atwood machine?

In summary, the conversation discusses a modified atwood machine made up of a vertical mass hanger and a horizontal cart connected by a rope and pulley. The cart has four equal masses stacked on it and the mass hanger has a mass of 2.0 kg. The questions asked are whether doubling the mass on the vertical hanger would double the acceleration, and how the data would be affected if one of the cart's wheels were rubbing. The derived equation for acceleration is a=(m/(M+m))*g, where M is the mass of the cart/weights and m is the mass of the vertical hanger. The conclusion is that the acceleration will increase, but not double, if the mass on the hanger is doubled.
dbakg00

Homework Statement

I have a modified atwood machine which is made up of a vertical mass hanger (hanging over the side of a table) connected to a horizontal cart (on the table) via a rope (un-stretchable) and a pulley (massless, frictionless, etc). The cart wheels have negligible friction. There are four equal masses stacked on the cart, each weighing 1.0kg. The mass hanger has a mass of 2.0 kg. The questions are:

(a) if I were to double the mass on the vertical hanger, without changing the mass of the entire system, would the acceleration double?

(b) how would the data be affected if the frame of the cart were bent so that one of the wheels were rubbing

Homework Equations

[itex]F_{net}=ma[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) After drawing free-body diagrams for both the cart and the mass hanger, I used F=ma to derive the following equation for the acceleration:

[itex]a=\frac{m}{M+m}*g[/itex]

where "M" = the mass of the cart/weights on top and "m" is the mass of the vertical hanger and any weights it may contain

After plugging a few values in this formula, it appears that the acceleration will double if I double the mass on the hanger without changing the mass of the system.

Did I get the formula right?

(b)

If one of the wheels were rubbing on the cart, that would skew the position-time data for the experiment. It would look like there was a greater amount of mass on the cart that what was there in reality. This would make your acceleration appear slower than it actually was. Also, if you didn't realize that the wheel was rubbing, you wouldn't include the friction force on the free-body diagram; therefore, your skewed data could induce the erroneous conclusion that [itex]F_{net}\neq ma[/itex].

Is my reasoning correct? Did I miss anything?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You wrote,

"(a) if I were to double the mass on the vertical hanger, without changing the mass of the entire system, would the acceleration double?"

Check your math, I got different results.

I see where I made the mistake now, I was making the denominator the entire mass of the system instead of adding the vertical mass to the entire system mass. The acceleration will increase, but not double.

Did part b look ok?

Thanks

Part b looked right to me.

Thanks for your help.

What is a Modified Atwood Machine?

A Modified Atwood Machine is a device that consists of two masses connected by a string or rope that passes over a pulley. It is a variation of the traditional Atwood Machine that is used to study the effects of various forces on the acceleration of masses.

How does a Modified Atwood Machine work?

The Modified Atwood Machine works by balancing the forces acting on the two masses. The tension force in the string is equal to the difference between the weights of the two masses. As one mass moves down, the other moves up, and the system accelerates until the weights are balanced.

What are some real-world applications of Modified Atwood Machines?

Modified Atwood Machines are commonly used in physics experiments to demonstrate concepts such as acceleration, friction, and Newton's laws of motion. They can also be found in industrial settings, where they are used to measure the weight or tension of objects.

What are the benefits of using a Modified Atwood Machine in scientific experiments?

Modified Atwood Machines allow for precise measurements of forces and accelerations in a controlled environment. They also allow for the manipulation of variables, making it easier to study the effects of different forces on the system.

What are some challenges of using a Modified Atwood Machine?

One challenge of using a Modified Atwood Machine is ensuring that the system is set up properly and all measurements are accurate. Another challenge is accounting for external factors, such as air resistance or friction, which can affect the results of the experiment.