How Does the Cross Product Relate to Rank 1 Tensors?

In summary, the conversation is about proving that the vector product of two arbitrary vectors belongs to the Rank 1 tensor. The equation C'i = λij Cj is used to show this, with Ci ≡ ϵijk Aj Bk and C'i ≡ ϵijk A'j B'k. The homework equations are not mentioned. The poster is asked to expand aibj ϵijk = ϵjkl (du,l/dx,k) as part of their attempt at a solution.
zorrorojo

Homework Statement

I don't know how to prove it.
Let us consider two arbitrary vectors
⃗ A and ⃗B.
Let us define the vector product of them as
⃗C = ⃗A × ⃗B
Show that the vector ⃗C belongs to the Rank 1 tensor. In other words,
prove that
C′i = λij Cj
where
Ci ≡ ϵij k Aj Bk
C′i ≡ ϵijk A′j B′k

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just tried, but I don't know about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
zorrorojo said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I just tried, but I don't know about it.

Hi zorrorojo, welcome to PF!:smile:

You'll need to be more specific than "I just tried, but I don't know about it" in order to get assistance here.

What exactly did you try? Show your attempt.

pls answer these qoestion:
1)expand the following
aibj ϵijk=
ϵjkl (du,l/dx,k)

Related to How Does the Cross Product Relate to Rank 1 Tensors?

What is a tensor?

A tensor is a mathematical object that represents a multilinear map between vector spaces. In simpler terms, it is a generalization of a vector that can have multiple dimensions and can store more complex data.

What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns. It is commonly used to represent linear transformations and solve systems of linear equations.

What is the difference between a tensor and a matrix?

A tensor is a generalization of a matrix that can have multiple dimensions and store more complex data, while a matrix is a two-dimensional array. Tensors can have a higher order (more dimensions) and can represent more complex relationships between data points.

What are the applications of tensors and matrices in science?

Tensors and matrices are used in a wide range of scientific and engineering fields, such as physics, computer science, and machine learning. They are particularly useful in analyzing and modeling complex systems and data, such as in image and signal processing, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics.

How does one manipulate and operate on tensors and matrices?

Tensors and matrices can be manipulated and operated on using various mathematical operations and algorithms, such as addition, multiplication, and inversion. There are also specialized software and programming languages, such as MATLAB and Python, that have built-in functions for working with tensors and matrices.