How does the number of turns in a loop affect the torque in a magnetic field?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the torque of a loop of wire with a hanging mass in a magnetic field. The solution involves using the equation T = IxAxB and accounting for the number of turns in the loop.
estanton

Homework Statement

The 10-turn loop of wire shown in the figure lies in a horizontal plane, parallel to a uniform horizontal magnetic field, and carries a 2.0A current. The loop is free to rotate about a nonmagnetic axle through the center. A 50g mass hangs from one edge of the loop.

Homework Equations

Torque = r x F
Torque = IA x B

The Attempt at a Solution

My thought was to simply calculate the torque created by the mass and then relate that with an opposite torque provided by the magnetic field. I suspect that I'm calculating the torque created by the hanging mass wrong, since I haven't really dealt with torques in some time.
Torque = r x F -> .025m*.05kg*9.8m/s^2 = .01225 Nm
Torque = IA x B -> Torque/IA = B -> .01225/(2.0A*(.05*.1)) = B = 1.225 T

If someone could help with what I'm overlooking here I would appreciate it.

Attachments

• 33.P66.jpg
    33.P66.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 799
Physics news on Phys.org
never mind, I figured out that I have to use N (number of turns) in with mu.

Hey, I tried the same thing you did... how do you factor in the number of turns?

Welcome to PF :smile:

For a 1-turn loop, the torque is what estanton had before:

T = I AxB​

If instead you have 10 loops, can you tell how that affects the torque?

Related to How does the number of turns in a loop affect the torque in a magnetic field?

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region of space around a magnet or electric current in which magnetic forces can be detected. It is represented by lines of force that show the direction and strength of the magnetic field.

2. How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons. In magnets, the moving electrons in the atoms align in the same direction, creating a north and south pole and thus a magnetic field.

3. What is the difference between a magnetic field and an electric field?

A magnetic field is created by moving charges, while an electric field is created by stationary charges. Additionally, a magnetic field only affects moving charges, while an electric field affects both moving and stationary charges.

4. How does a magnetic field produce torque?

When a magnetic field interacts with a magnet, it exerts a force on the magnet, causing it to rotate. This rotational force is known as torque and is produced by the alignment of the magnetic field lines with the poles of the magnet.

5. What factors affect the strength of torque in a magnetic field?

The strength of torque in a magnetic field is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the angle between the magnetic field and the magnet, and the distance between the magnet and the point at which the torque is measured. Additionally, the shape and orientation of the magnet can also affect the strength of torque.