How Does Wheelchair Tension Affect Stability in a Moving Subway?

• Thread starter Seung Lee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wheel
In summary: If it's a 'real' torque, it has to be due to a real force acting at a right angle to a displacement from some point. So you don't just have a torque, you have a 'torque about a point' which you need to specify.In summary, the project involves using tension strings attached to a wheelchair inside a subway to prevent it from moving when the subway decelerates or accelerates. Due to inexperience, only the wheel was used to solve equations. The direction of movement and forces involved are unclear, and the use of torque in the solution is uncertain. More information is needed to fully understand the problem.
Seung Lee

Homework Statement

So for a project, we decided to do tension strings that would be attached to a wheelchair inside a subway so that when the subway decelerates or accelerates, the wheelchair wouldn't move.
However, due to our inexperience we used only the wheel and solved for equations.
If I'm not mistaken when the subway is deccelerating, the force (ma) is applied to the left, the friction force would also be to the left (since it's movement would keep going right due to inertia) and the Tension would go to the right, even if the tension cables are attached to the left.
Something like it was attached
So what we wanted to find was what was the Tension force necessary so that the wheel wouldn't move.
uk = 0.20
radius = 0.3048m
mass = 89.67
acceleration = +- 1.5m/s^2
Since I can't seem to attach any file
Tension ->
Normal would be going up ^
mg would be going down v
and Force + friction force would be going to the left <-

Homework Equations

Sum of forces in x: T - F - f = 0
Sum of forces in y:N - mg = 0
Torque force = r x F
Sum of torques??

The Attempt at a Solution

Normal force = 878.766
Friction force = 175.752
Applied force = 134.505
Torque force = 0.3048 * 175.752 * sin 90 = 53.5692

The problem is that I am not sure at all on how to use the torque force or if I am supposed to use this in a sum of torques equation etc.

Seung Lee said:
tension strings that would be attached to a wheelchair inside a subway so that when the subway decelerates or accelerates, the wheelchair wouldn't move.
So the wheelchair is facing along the carriage (or the opposite direction), not across?
Where and how are the strings attached? Horizontally at the tops of the wheels?
Seung Lee said:
However, due to our inexperience we used only the wheel and solved for equations.
I don't know what you are saying there.
Seung Lee said:
If I'm not mistaken when the subway is deccelerating, the force (ma) is applied to the left, the friction force would also be to the left (since it's movement would keep going right due to inertia) and the Tension would go to the right, even if the tension cables are attached to the left.
You first need to say which way the decelerating carriage is moving, in your mental image. Sounds like it's to the right.
What force is applied 'to the left', other than friction and the tension? Is this a fictional 'inertial' force in the frame of reference of the decelerating carriage?
Where exactly is this friction?
Tension goes both ways, so whether it's to the left or to the right depends on which of the two objects it's attached to is under consideration.
Seung Lee said:
Since I can't seem to attach any file
How about describing the set up in more detail, assigning labels to points (e.g. O for centre of wheel etc.)?
Seung Lee said:
The problem is that I am not sure at all on how to use the torque force or if I am supposed to use this in a sum of torques equation etc.
Depending on the set-up, torque could lead to the wheelchair toppling, so it may be important.

Related to How Does Wheelchair Tension Affect Stability in a Moving Subway?

1. What is a wheel and how does it work?

A wheel is a circular object that rotates on an axle. It works by reducing friction between the ground and the object it is attached to, allowing for easier movement.

2. How does the size of a wheel affect its performance?

The size of a wheel can affect its performance in several ways. A larger wheel can cover more distance per revolution, making it more efficient for long distances. However, a smaller wheel may be better for maneuverability and acceleration.

3. What are the different types of wheels and their uses?

There are various types of wheels such as solid, pneumatic, and semi-pneumatic. Solid wheels are durable and used for heavy-duty applications, while pneumatic wheels are filled with air and provide a smoother ride. Semi-pneumatic wheels have a combination of air and solid material, making them suitable for both rough and smooth surfaces.

4. How do you calculate the speed and force of a wheel?

The speed of a wheel can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time taken. The force of a wheel can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

5. What are some common problems with wheels and how can they be fixed?

Some common problems with wheels include flat tires, misalignment, and wear and tear. These can be fixed by replacing the tire, adjusting the alignment, and properly maintaining the wheel with regular cleaning and lubrication.