How far does arrow penetrate into board

• Thread starter sillybean
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Board
In summary, the arrow stops moving with respect to the block after traveling a certain distance. The common speed of the arrow and block is when this happens. The arrow penetrates a distance of 0.134m into the block.
sillybean
[SOLVED] How far does arrow penetrate into board

Homework Statement

An arrow is fired with a speed of 21.0 m/s at a block of Styrofoam resting on a smooth surface. The arrow penetrates a certain distance into the block before coming to rest relative to it. During this process the arrow's deceleration has a magnitude of 1560 m/s^2 and the block's acceleration has a magnitude of 450 m/s^2.
a)How long does it take for the arrow to stop moving with respect to the block?
b)What is the common speed of the arrow and block when this happens?
c)How far into the block does the arrow penetrate?

Homework Equations

x=Xi+Vi*t+ 1/2at^2
x=0+21m/s (1.04x10^-2 s)+ 1/2 (-1560m/s^2)(1.04*10^-2 s)^2
x=0.2184-0.0843648
x=0.134m

The Attempt at a Solution

I got parts a and b. But part c is giving me problem. I tried using the equation above to get the final position of the arrow but the answer was wrong. Am I using the wrong equation. Or is it a math error?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the deceleration of the arrow (-1560 m/s^2) with respect to the block or some common reference point?

Unfortunately, the problem doesn't specify that. I'm guessing since the problem gives the deceleration of the arrow while saying "during this process" it might be with respect to the block.

if it is wid respect to the block...then use conservation of momentum ...
go ahead..

ok. But just out of curiosity, what if it was just with respect to a common point. What would I do then?

looking over conservation of momentum, i don't think that's how i need to solve the problem seeing as how I haven't been taught that. Besides that, I have no mass included in the problem.

I'm pretty sure I have to use one of the equations that relate velocity, time, position and acceleration. I used one of them( see above), but got the wrong answer.

try using this formula
x = x0 + 1/2 (v0 + v) t

that one worked. thanks amarett0!

1. How does the force of the arrow affect its penetration into the board?

The force of the arrow greatly affects its penetration into the board. The higher the force, the deeper the arrow will penetrate into the board. This is because the force of the arrow is what overcomes the resistance of the material and allows it to penetrate.

2. What type of material should the board be made of for accurate penetration results?

The ideal material for accurate penetration results is one that is consistent and has a high density. This means that the board should be made of a material that is uniform in composition and has a high amount of mass per unit volume. Examples of suitable materials include foam, wood, or ballistic gel.

3. Can the angle of the arrow affect its penetration into the board?

Yes, the angle of the arrow can have a significant impact on its penetration into the board. A straight-on shot will have more force and therefore, deeper penetration compared to a shot at an angle. This is because the force of the arrow is distributed over a larger surface area when shot at an angle, resulting in less penetration.

4. Is the weight of the arrow a factor in its penetration into the board?

Yes, the weight of the arrow can affect its penetration into the board. A heavier arrow will have more kinetic energy and therefore, more force when it hits the board, resulting in deeper penetration. However, the weight of the arrow should also be balanced with other factors such as the bow's draw weight and the material of the arrow tip.

5. How does the distance between the arrow and the board affect its penetration?

The closer the arrow is to the board, the less distance it will have to travel and the more force it will have upon impact. This will result in deeper penetration compared to a shot from a farther distance. However, other factors such as the angle and weight of the arrow should also be considered.