How fast would a methane cloud rise in air?

In summary: If you want to do an equation in which everything is ideal, calculating buoyance should be good enough.
Mock

Homework Statement

Hi everyone,

This is a conceptual question, so there are no variables, per se. I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the velocity at which methane would rise into the atmosphere when released on the ground.

Density of air: 1.225kg/m^3

Density of methane: 0.717kg/m^3

Homework Equations

Unknown, intuitively I feel it should be based on buoyancy.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using the buoyancy approach, but since I would imagine the cloud could be any size, there is no way to use volume as a variable. The only method I can think of is to use the ratio of the densities of the atmosphere and methane, both of which are known constants, but I'm not quite sure how to go about doing this. This is my first post, so I apologize if I've made any template errors. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mock said:

Homework Statement

Hi everyone,

This is a conceptual question, so there are no variables, per se. I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the rate at which methane would rise into the atmosphere.

Density of air: 1.225kg/m^3

Density of methane: 0.717kg/m^3

Homework Equations

Unknown, intuitively I feel it should be based on buoyancy.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using the buoyancy approach, but since I would imagine the cloud could be any size, there is no way to use volume as a variable. The only method I can think of is to use the ratio of the densities of the atmosphere and methane, both of which are known constants, but I'm not quite sure how to go about doing this. This is my first post, so I apologize if I've made any template errors. Thanks!

I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that either density is constant.

Student100 said:
I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that either density is constant.

I know how to calculate density, these are just good, relatively "normal" numbers to use.

Mock said:
I know how to calculate density, these are just good, relatively "normal" numbers to use.

Your question:

I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the rate at which methane would rise into the atmosphere.

Maybe you need to rework the question.

Student100 said:
Maybe you need to rework the question.

Edited, thanks.

The density difference would give you the net force on the methane volume due to Archimedes' principle. However, the cloud would also diffuse and induce air currents, leading to dispersion and drag on the cloud, which would therefore also mix with the air. Without knowing these things in more detail, I feel this would make life significantly more complicated than simple force analysis.

Mock said:
Edited, thanks.

It's still impossible to attempt to solve what you want to solve in this manner. If you're still curious about this subject read up on industry risk management gas dispersion models. Otherwise try to design an experiment.

If you want to just do an equation in which everything is ideal, calculating buoyance should be good enough.

1. How does temperature affect the rise of a methane cloud?

The temperature of the air plays a significant role in the rise of a methane cloud. As the air temperature increases, the molecules in the air gain more energy and move faster, causing them to rise faster and carry the methane cloud with them.

2. What factors influence the rate of rise for a methane cloud?

Apart from temperature, other factors that can influence the rate of rise for a methane cloud include the density of the gas, the air pressure, and the stability of the atmosphere. A denser gas will rise slower, while lower air pressure and unstable atmospheric conditions can cause the cloud to rise more quickly.

3. Does the size of the methane cloud affect its rise in air?

Yes, the size of the methane cloud can have an impact on its rise in air. A larger cloud will have a greater mass and therefore require more energy to lift it. This can result in a slower rise compared to a smaller cloud with less mass.

4. How do wind patterns affect the rise of a methane cloud?

Wind patterns can have a significant effect on the rise of a methane cloud. If the wind is blowing in the same direction as the cloud's movement, it can provide an additional force to push the cloud higher. However, if the wind is blowing in the opposite direction, it can slow down or even prevent the cloud from rising.

5. Can the rise of a methane cloud be predicted accurately?

While factors such as temperature, size, and wind patterns can provide some insight into the rise of a methane cloud, accurately predicting its speed and trajectory can be challenging. Many variables can impact the rise of a cloud, making it difficult to determine an exact rate without advanced modeling and data analysis.