How Is the Third Piece's Velocity Determined After a Grenade Explosion?

• Thread starter tornzaer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the problem involves a grenade exploding into three pieces, with the first two pieces having known mass and velocity. Using the equation P=mv and the principle of conservation of momentum, we can solve for the velocity and direction of the third piece. By setting up equations for the east/west and north/south components and using the known quantities, we can find the two unknowns: the speed and angle of the third piece. Alternatively, we can draw a single triangle and use the cosine and sine laws to find the magnitude and angle of the third piece's velocity.
tornzaer

Homework Statement

A grenade of mass 1.2 kg is at rest on a smooth frictionless surface when it suddenly explodes into three pieces. A 0.5 kg piece flies off horizontally to the north at 3.0 m/s, a 0.3 kg piece flies off horizontally to the southwest at 4.0 m/s. What is the speed and direction of the third piece?

Homework Equations

P=mv P123=P1+P2+P3 Cosine Law

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I know the mass and velocity of the first two pieces. I know the mass of the third piece due to the remaining mass from the total and it comes up to 0.4 kg. I know the momentum of the first two pieces. I know I have to draw a diagram and find the momentum of the unknown side, which would be P1+P2. Then, I can solve for v3 by dividing m3 from P1+P2. The problem, however is the direction. Since the second piece flies southwest, I'm assuming the angle is 45 degrees. That leaves me with two unknown angles. I can find this by using the Sine Law, but I don't know which angle to use.

This is where I need help, what is the direction of the third piece? Could someone please show me the diagram and which angle would be it for the third piece. Just as a side note, the velocity of the third piece comes up to a negative number, so does that mean that the direction will be switched? Thank you very much for the help. This is for my exam that's tomorrow.

Physics news on Phys.org
The momentum before the explosion is zero - in the east/west direction AND in the north/south direction. Make two headings for the two directions and then write
0 = p1 + p2 + p3 for each. Put in the known quantities, using 4*cos(45) for the east/west part of the velocity of the 2nd piece. I expect you will have two equations with two unknowns - the speed and angle of the 3rd piece. Solve the system of equations to find them.

Hmmm... Is there a way to solve it by drawing a single triangle? Then I could use the cosine law to find the one side and the sine law from thereon to find the angle of the direction I need. This is how we've done it thus far in class. It's just that I don't know which of the two blank angles is the directional angle. I could use sine law to find either one, just don't know which one.

Thanks.

It's much easier to just sum the X-components and Y-components as already suggested.

You end with the numerical values of the x,y of the third piece directly. Then combine them for the |magnitude| and use the tan-1 to get the angle directly.

Related to How Is the Third Piece's Velocity Determined After a Grenade Explosion?

What is momentum and why is it important?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, determined by its mass and velocity. It is important because it allows us to predict the future motion of an object based on its current state.

How does momentum relate to the concept of "exploding apart"?

In the context of "exploding apart", momentum refers to the motion of objects moving away from each other due to an explosion or other sudden force. The greater the momentum of the objects involved, the further they will move apart.

Can momentum be conserved in an explosion?

Yes, momentum is always conserved in a closed system, even during an explosion. This means that the total momentum of all objects before the explosion will be equal to the total momentum of all objects after the explosion.

How does the mass and velocity of objects affect their momentum during an explosion?

The momentum of an object is directly proportional to its mass and velocity. This means that objects with greater mass or velocity will have a higher momentum during an explosion, causing them to move further apart.

Are there any real-life examples of "momentum - exploding apart"?

Yes, explosions in fireworks, car crashes, and volcanic eruptions are all examples of momentum causing objects to explode apart from each other. Even something as simple as throwing a ball can demonstrate this concept.