How is this pronounced? (subitize)

1. Math Is Hard

Math Is Hard 4,915
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

subitize

I looked it up in an online dictionary and it said it is pronounced like "soobitize". However, we had a guest lecturer in class last week and she pronounced it like "suhbitize".

Does anyone know which is correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Its probably dependant upon where the speaker is from. For example, people from the US and Brits might say it differently. A better dictionary might even say that it may be used either way. LOL, it doesn't even show up in the Miriam-Webster 11th Edition I have.

4. Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'd go with suhbitize. All such words, subterfuge, subsidize, subsistence, etc... all have the same pronunciation.

5. Math Is Hard

Math Is Hard 4,915
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for the help. I have a feeling that whichever one I pick, it will be the opposite of what the professor thinks it is. LOL
    But I guess I will go with "suhb".

6. Astronuc

On the other hand, in the words: subterfuge, subsidize, subsistence, the letter 'b' is followed by a consonant, so by convention sub is pronounce suhb, and is usually a separate syllable (and often a prefix). Often, when the group 'sub' is followed by a vowel, the u is long, soo, and the b is part of the second syllable (su·bi·tize). I think the English and Australians would pronounce syoobitize.

subitize - to perceive at a glance the number of items presented.

7. Gokul43201

Gokul43201 11,141
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Definitely soobitize.

8. robphy

robphy 4,416
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

9. I'm pretty sure my daughter is good at subitizing, as she can add 13 digit numbers in her head and give the right answer immediately. I asked her what's 2 trillion plus 3 trillion and she got it in a flash.

10. DaveC426913

DaveC426913 16,307
    Gold Member

Hmph. And I got in trouble yesterday for pronouncing chootney instead of chuhtney.

11. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, without having a clue what the word meant (thanks to Astronuc for providing the definition) nor having ever seen or heard it pronounced before, upon seeing it in the thread title, I pronounced it soo-bi-tize. Astronuc's explanation makes sense of why it's NOT suhb-i-tize (that would just break every spelling, syllabication and pronunciation rule I've ever learned).

12. Evo

Yep, I didn't even think of that.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  13. I don't know about that. There's subatomic, subequal, subinvariant, subordinate, suburb.

I think the issue is that the prefix sub-, meaning under or less than, is probably always pronounced the same regardless of the next letter. The thing that makes subitize different is that sub- is not a prefix in that word. It derives from the latin word subitus, meaning sudden.

14. BobG

BobG 2,364
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's from subito, which is pronounced soob-ito, so I'd assume it's pronounced soob-itize.

It's a niche word you don't see in everyday use and isn't even included in a lot of dictionaries, so maybe the lecturer just guessed.

Interesting subject. It's how you can teach a dog or horse to count. Remember how Roy Roger's horse, Trigger, could count to three? If Roy Rogers had a parrot instead of a horse, he could have 'counted' all the way up to four! Of course, I guess that would have required quite a few other changes in the show, as well.

I've been working with my dog to see how high she can go numerically. So far, we're up to [tex]\int^{\pi}_0 sin(x) dx[/tex]

15. jim mcnamara

jim mcnamara 1,515
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

suberin - soo-ber-in
    subitize - soo-bi-tize

Astronuc has it - no following consonant after the letter "b"

16. Math Is Hard

Math Is Hard 4,915
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ordinarily, I would think that it was just a guess, but this was a cognitive psychology post-doc who pronounced it "suhbitize". It may fall outside of her area of specialization, but I would think that she had heard this word pronounced before.

17. Soob (more so 'syoobitise"), it feels 'natural' to me.

But then again, I just found out it's Oiler, not Euler :grumpy:

18. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,535
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tsubitize - to perceive at a glance everything not yet done by Ivan.

19. Soob, it feels 'natural' to me.

But then again, I just found out it's Oiler, not Euler :grumpy:

Now where's that book on Oiclid's Elements...

20. Evo

:rofl: Now Tsubitize is easy. I guess I won't be giving out pronunciations when I'm going to sleep anymore. :redface:

21. Math Is Hard

Math Is Hard 4,915
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?