How Many Bulbs Are Connected to Match Internal Resistance Voltage Drop?

In summary, the internal resistance of the battery is 0.50 ohm and a number of identical light bulbs, each with a resistance of 15 ohm, are connected in parallel across the battery terminals. The terminal voltage is observed to be one-half the EMF of the battery. By the equation V=IR, the resistances of the internal and external components are equal, resulting in the current being the same. Therefore, 30 bulbs are connected in this circuit.
Biosyn

Homework Statement

A battery has an internal resistance of 0.50 ohm. A number of identical light bulbs, each with a resistance of 15 ohm, are connected in parallel across the battery terminals. The terminal voltage of the batter is observed to be one-half the EMF of the battery. How many bulbs are connected?

Homework Equations

V = Vemf - IR

The Attempt at a Solution

n = number of light bulbs

1/(Rb) = (1/15)n
Rb = 15/n

I'm not sure what to do at this point..

V = (1/2)Vemf

Physics news on Phys.org
What can be said about the current in the battery and the current in the circuit?

Villyer said:
What can be said about the current in the battery and the current in the circuit?

The current is the same?

My thoughts:
Is the voltage split in half? Because half of the voltage goes through the circuit and the other half is going across the internal resistance?
So...are the internal resistance and the resistance of the bulbs equal?

Biosyn said:
The current is the same?

My thoughts:
Is the voltage split in half? Because half of the voltage goes through the circuit and the other half is going across the internal resistance?

Exactly.

Because the voltage is split in half (therefore equal) as you say, and the currents are the same, by the equation V=IR the resistances have to be the same.

Villyer said:
Exactly.

Because the voltage is split in half (therefore equal) as you say, and the currents are the same, by the equation V=IR the resistances have to be the same.

. so that must mean:

r = R

15/n = 0.5

n = 30

Thanks for helping!

Biosyn said:
The current is the same?

My thoughts:

To be more precise, half the voltage is dropped across the internal resistance and the other half is dropped across the external resistance. Current goes though, potential drops across components.

attachment.php?attachmentid=45321&stc=1&d=1332286941.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2 KB · Views: 1,129

Related to How Many Bulbs Are Connected to Match Internal Resistance Voltage Drop?

1. What is internal resistance?

Internal resistance is the opposition to the flow of electric current within a circuit. It is caused by the resistance of the materials used to make the circuit, such as the wires and components.

2. Why is internal resistance a problem?

Internal resistance can cause a decrease in the voltage and power output of a circuit, which can affect the performance of devices that rely on electricity. It can also cause the circuit to heat up and potentially damage components.

3. How can I measure internal resistance?

Internal resistance can be measured by using a multimeter to measure the voltage drop across a known load in the circuit. This can be done by connecting the multimeter in parallel with the load and then calculating the internal resistance using Ohm's Law (R=V/I).

4. What factors affect internal resistance?

The factors that affect internal resistance include the material and thickness of the circuit components, the temperature of the circuit, and the length of the circuit. As these factors increase, the internal resistance also increases.

5. How can I reduce internal resistance in a circuit?

Internal resistance can be reduced by using materials with lower resistivity, increasing the thickness of the circuit components, and keeping the circuit at a lower temperature. Additionally, using shorter and thicker wires can also help to reduce internal resistance.