How many terms are in this series?

In summary, the conversation is about a mathematical series represented in sigma notation. The question is whether the number of terms in the series is 99, 86, 89, or 96. The person providing the summary believes it is 99, but is unsure. They also ask for clarification on whether the letter "i" represents the imaginary unit and whether 99 is a natural power of 7. The conversation then goes into discussing a simpler geometric sum and how to find the number of terms in a series. The final conclusion is that the original series has 86 terms, and there is a general formula for finding the number of terms in a series with a given index range.
aisha
I have a question is sigma notation

E (-7)^i+7
i=7

Is the number of terms in this series 99? Or

86, 89, or 96 I am so confused PLZ HELP IMMEDIATELY

I think it is 99 because 92+7=99 but I am not sure

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please write it more clearly.Is that "i" [itex] \sqrt{-1} [/itex]...?

Use LaTex.

Daniel.

no its

(-7) to the exponent (i+7)

hurry help

So that "i" wanders through "n"...?

Daniel.

P.S.If so,then is 99 a natural power of 7...?

Is this your sum?

[tex]\sum_{i=7}^{92}(-7)^{i-7}[/tex]

You have a term for each number 7, 8, 9, ..., 91, 92. How many numbers on this list?

OMG,i didn't understand the question...No wonder the ballooney...:eek:

So it was that simple...

Daniel.

I believe there are 86 in the terms. you take 92-7+1=86

Looks like a simple geometric sum to me.
[tex]\sum_{i=7}^{92}(-7)^{i-7}[/tex]

Let n= i- 7 so that when i= 7, n=0 and when i= 92, n= 92-7= 85 (as Gieuseppe said).

The sum is the same as [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{85}(-7)^{n}[/tex].

Can you do that? (There is a simple formula for geometric sums.)

[tex]\sum_{i=7}^{92}(-7)^{i+7}[/tex]

the exponent is i plus 7 not minus. Also the answer is 86 not 85 but I don't know how to get the answer I tried so many times.

Can you answer the question how many numbers are on the list 7, 8, 9, ..., 92?

How about we subtract 6 from each number. The list:

7, 8, 9, ..., 92

has the same number of items as:

1, 2, 3, ..., 86

In general if you have a sum whose index ranges from a to b, you have b-a+1 terms.

Related to How many terms are in this series?

What is the "Very Important Help Series"?

The "Very Important Help Series" is a collection of educational videos and resources aimed at providing guidance and support for individuals looking to improve their skills and knowledge in a particular subject area.

Who is the target audience for the "Very Important Help Series"?

The "Very Important Help Series" is designed for anyone looking to expand their knowledge and improve their skills in a specific subject area. This could include students, professionals, or anyone with a general interest in learning.

What topics are covered in the "Very Important Help Series"?

The "Very Important Help Series" covers a wide range of topics, including but not limited to science, technology, mathematics, history, and language. Each topic is broken down into individual videos and resources to provide in-depth and comprehensive learning opportunities.

Who creates the content for the "Very Important Help Series"?

The content for the "Very Important Help Series" is created by a team of experienced and knowledgeable educators, researchers, and professionals in their respective fields. They work together to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date, and engaging for the target audience.

How can I access the "Very Important Help Series"?

The "Very Important Help Series" is available online through various platforms, such as YouTube, educational websites, and social media. The resources can be accessed for free and can be viewed at any time, making it convenient for individuals to learn at their own pace.