How Much Force Is Needed to Prevent the Smaller Block from Falling?

In summary, the static friction between the two blocks is .47 and the kinetic friction between the block with mass 9.4 kg and the horizontal surface is 0.21. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. What is the minimum force F which must be exerted on the 9.4 kg block in order that the 0.8 kg block does not fall?
shellshock92

Homework Statement

The static friction between the two blocks is .47 and kinetic friction between the block with mass 9.4 kg and the horizontal surface is 0.21.The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2 What is the minimum force F which must be exerted on the 9.4 kg block in order that the 0.8 kg block does not fall? Answer in units of N

diagram: attached

Homework Equations

ƩF=m*a
Fμ = μ*Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

Free Body Diagram: attached

F(net on big block) = F - (.21*m*g)

F(net on small block) = F - (.47*m*a)

Now I made an assumption that F(net on big block) = F(net on small block)

F - (.47*m*a) = F - (.21*m*g)
0 = - (.21*9.4*9.8) + .47*(.8)*a
19.3452 = .376a ... a = 51.45 m/s^2 ?

F(net on small block) = m*a - (.47*m*a) = (.8*51.45) - (.47*.8*51.45) = 21.815 N

I went through this with a TA who told me we could make that assumption, but seeing I got the answer wrong I am quite confused at this point :( Is my approach somewhat correct? I do believe this is the right section to post this if it isn't I am sorry! this problem has been giving me an headache for quite sometime some clarification would be welcomed :)

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 464
  • freebody.jpg
    freebody.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 483
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the static friction between the two blocks is .47, the vertical force on the smaller block, holding it up, is .47f where f is the force the larger block is applying to it. That f is, in turn, .8a where a is the acceleration of the larger block. If the force applied to the larger block is F, then a= F/9.4. So the vertical force on the smaller block is .47(.8(F/9.4). In order that the small block not fall, that must be larger than the gravitational force on the smaller block, 0.8g.

First you have to find the force needed to hold the 0.8kg block from falling down.
When this force is exerted on the small block, what is the acceleration cause by the force.
This acceleratioon must be the same for all the bodies, they are moving as one piece.

Edit: acceleration is not needed in this problem

Last edited:
@HallsofIvy .8(9.8) > .47(.8(F/9.4)) therefore (if I did the calculations correctly) 196 > F How does this help me solve for F ? I am probably misunderstanding your point...

@azizlwl Wouldn't the force needed to hold up the block be F(net on small block) = F - (.47*m2*a) and F(net) = 0 ? seeing we don't want it to fall ? Then I suppose I could take the information provided by HallsofIvy that a = F/9.4 and plug that into the above equation to get F = (.47*.8*(F/9.4)) ? but I don't see how that would help either...

sorry if I am not understanding your responses correctly :S

to balance the small block's weight: f=mg
f=μN

μN=mg
N=mg/μ
ma=mg/μ
a=g/u
Since it is a static friction, the friction value from zero to maximum μ. Since μ is at maximum, then a is at minimum.

this is the acceleration of the combine small and big block.
Now find the force needed to push a block(small + big) against friction and result in minimum acceleration as above.
Thus minimum force.

Last edited:
From my understanding the following should be correct?

F(normal) = m1*g therefore F(friction) = μ(k) * m1 * g

ƩF = F(applied) - F(friction) = (m1 + m2)*a
F = (m1+m2)*(g/μ(s)) + μ(k)*m1*g

Although this gives me a very large applied force...
F(friction) isn't μ(k) * (m1 + m2) * g is it?

We also need to know the concept behind the question on minimum force. Any value of force we get should also verified it is a mininmum value.

F=(m1+m2)μkg +Nm2

Edit: Correction, acceleration value is not needed in this problem. 3rd. Newton's law for the interaction between small and big block.

Last edited:

Related to How Much Force Is Needed to Prevent the Smaller Block from Falling?

1. What is Newton's law of friction?

Newton's law of friction states that the force of friction between two surfaces is directly proportional to the normal force exerted between the surfaces and the coefficient of friction. This can be expressed as F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

2. How is the coefficient of friction determined?

The coefficient of friction is determined by conducting experiments where the force of friction and normal force are measured for various objects and surfaces. The coefficient of friction is then calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants. The coefficient of friction also varies with temperature and can change with the direction of motion.

4. How does friction affect motion?

Friction acts in the opposite direction of motion, causing a resistance force that can slow down or stop an object in motion. This is why it is important to consider friction when designing and engineering machines and vehicles.

5. Can friction be eliminated?

Friction cannot be completely eliminated, but it can be reduced by using lubricants, choosing smooth and slippery surfaces, and minimizing the force of contact between surfaces. However, eliminating all friction can also lead to dangerous and uncontrollable movements, so it is important to find a balance.