How much heat energy is transferred to or from the gas

In summary: R.In summary, the conversation is about a monatomic gas following a process shown in a figure. The questions asked are about the heat energy transferred during two specific processes and the total change in thermal energy of the gas. The relationship between pressure, volume, and heat energy is discussed, as well as the constant volume heat capacity of a monatomic gas. Finally, it is mentioned that the total change in thermal energy can be calculated using the gas's specific heat capacity and the work done on or by the gas.
Meteo
0.250 mol of a monatomic gas follows the process shown in the figure.
attachment.php?attachmentid=5591&stc=1&d=1132268995.jpg

How much heat energy is transferred to or from the gas during process 1 to 2?

How much heat energy is transferred to or from the gas during process 2 to 3?

What is the total change in thermal energy of the gas?

I am not sure how to relate pressure and volume to heat energy.

I have [tex]pV=nRT[/tex] and [tex]\Delta E_{th}=W+Q[/tex]

Also for the third question. would I just subtract the energy at point 3 from the energy at
point 1?

Attachments

• knight_Figure_17_61.jpg
    knight_Figure_17_61.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 1,735
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Meteo said:
0.250 mol of a monatomic gas follows the process shown in the figure.
attachment.php?attachmentid=5591&stc=1&d=1132268995.jpg

How much heat energy is transferred to or from the gas during process 1 to 2?
How much heat energy is transferred to or from the gas during process 2 to 3?
What is the total change in thermal energy of the gas?
I am not sure how to relate pressure and volume to heat energy.
I have [tex]pV=nRT[/tex] and [tex]\DeltaE_th=W+Q[/tex]
Also for the third question. would I just subtract the energy at point 3 from the energy at point 1?

The change in internal (thermal) energy of the gas is:

[tex]\Delta U = nC_v\Delta T = \Delta Q + W[/tex] where W is the work done to the gas (use -W if W is the work done by the gas).

What is [itex]C_v[/itex] for an ideal monatomic gas?

AM

I can provide a response to your questions by utilizing the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in thermal energy of a system is equal to the work done on the system plus the heat transferred to the system.

For the first question, the heat energy transferred during process 1 to 2 can be calculated by finding the difference in thermal energy between points 1 and 2. This can be done by using the equation \Delta E_{th}=W+Q and substituting the values of work and change in thermal energy from the given figure.

Similarly, for the second question, the heat energy transferred during process 2 to 3 can be calculated by finding the difference in thermal energy between points 2 and 3.

To answer the third question, you can calculate the total change in thermal energy of the gas by finding the difference between the thermal energy at point 3 and point 1. This will give you the total amount of heat energy transferred to or from the gas during the entire process.

In order to relate pressure and volume to heat energy, you can use the ideal gas law, pV=nRT, where p is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin. This equation can be used to calculate the work done on the gas during a process, which can then be used in the first law of thermodynamics to calculate the change in thermal energy.

I hope this explanation helps in understanding how to calculate the heat energy transferred to or from a gas during a thermodynamic process.

1. How is heat energy transferred to or from a gas?

Heat energy can be transferred to or from a gas through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between the gas and a solid surface. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of the gas molecules themselves. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

2. What factors affect the amount of heat energy transferred to or from a gas?

The amount of heat energy transferred to or from a gas can be influenced by several factors, including the temperature difference between the gas and its surroundings, the type of material the gas is in contact with, the surface area of the material, and the duration of the heat transfer.

3. How do you measure the amount of heat energy transferred to or from a gas?

The amount of heat energy transferred to or from a gas can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as a thermometer, a calorimeter, or a heat flux sensor. These devices can measure changes in temperature, heat capacity, or the rate of heat transfer, respectively.

4. What is the relationship between heat energy and temperature in a gas?

The amount of heat energy transferred to or from a gas can affect its temperature. When heat energy is added to a gas, its temperature typically increases. Conversely, when heat energy is removed from a gas, its temperature typically decreases. This relationship is described by the first law of thermodynamics.

5. How does the volume of a gas affect the amount of heat energy transferred?

The volume of a gas can impact the amount of heat energy transferred to or from it. When a gas is compressed, its molecules are forced closer together, which can lead to an increase in temperature and thus an increase in the amount of heat energy transferred. When a gas expands, its molecules move further apart, which can cause a decrease in temperature and a decrease in the amount of heat energy transferred.