How Much Work is Needed to Pull a Sled on an Icy Road?

• Thread starter LJ Fiddle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Girl
In summary, a college girl is pulling a sled loaded with firewood along a level, icy road. The coefficient of friction between the sled and the road is 0.12 and the mass of the sled plus its load is 157 kg. The towrope is attached to the front of the sled at a 36 degree angle with the horizontal. To determine the work she must do to pull the sled 1.0 km and increase its velocity from 1.0 m/s to 3.0 m/s, the forces on the sled must be taken into account. These include the normal force, friction, and the force the girl exerts on the sled. By using the equation F_SG = (mg)/((
LJ Fiddle

Homework Statement

By means of a towrope, a college girl pulls a sled loaded with firewood toward her sorority house along a level, icy road. The coefficient of friction between the sled and the road is u_k = 0.12 and the mass of the sled plus its load is 157 kg. The towrope is attached to the front of the sled and makes an angle of 36 degrees with the horizontal. How much work must the girl do with a constant pulling force on the sled to pull it 1.0 km while increasing its velocity from 1.0 m/s to 3.0 m/s?

Homework Equations

Don't know where to start.

The Attempt at a Solution

Friend of mine said: F_SG = (mg)/(sin(theta)*((cos(theta))/u_k))
Using that I got 210 N of force, but with work shouldn't we only be concerned with things in the x-direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
friends don't give friends equations without any explanation,

what are all the forces on the sled? give their horizontal and vertical components.
Since the sled only moves horizontally the vertical forces will do no work, but they
are important for how much friction there is.

The force the girl exerts on the sled is not given. So that must be found to get the work.

Normal force = mg = 157(9.81) = 1540 N

Friction = u_k * Normal force = 1540 N * 0.12 = 185 N

The angle she is pulling it at is 36 degrees above the horizontal. She pulls it 1.0 km so what is the force over this distance AS SHE INCREASES velocity from 1.0 m/s to 3.0 m/s.

The equation my friend gave me was from a lecture that I missed. He showed my how he got it from [tex]\Sigma[/tex]F=ma.

I used it and got 210 N. I have no idea if this is right, nor how to proceed from here.

The problem is a bit harder than you think. If she pulls upwards, this will reduce the normal force and the friction. Just assume she pulls with a force F. Then you can work out the friction as a function of F and then use [tex]\Sigma[/tex] = ma to find what F is.

Once you know F then the horizontal component of F multiplied by the distance she pulls the sled, will give you the work done.

I see what you mean, by have no idea of going about doing that.

It makes sense because when I use the equation I was shown using angle 0 degrees, I got the frictional force.

I'm also working on this problem. So far I've figured out the force that the girl pulls the sled because it's just the horizontal component of the force she exerts on the sled. However the fact that her velocity increases across the kilometer has got me thinking that the problem is more complicated that W = FD.

Originally I tried to use the W = delta KE to figure it out but that gives me an answer like 628J, while using W = FD it's more like (185N * cos 36) * 1000m = blah Joules. I'm with the first guy, setting up the problem is where I'm stuck because I can't help thinking the constant acceleration affects the total work.

devilparticle said:
I'm also working on this problem. So far I've figured out the force that the girl pulls the sled because it's just the horizontal component of the force she exerts on the sled. However the fact that her velocity increases across the kilometer has got me thinking that the problem is more complicated that W = FD.

Originally I tried to use the W = delta KE to figure it out but that gives me an answer like 628J, while using W = FD it's more like (185N * cos 36) * 1000m = blah Joules. I'm with the first guy, setting up the problem is where I'm stuck because I can't help thinking the constant acceleration affects the total work.

Yup. I'm stuck here too. There's got to be more to this.

1. suppose the girl pulls with a force F
2. what is the vertical component of F
3. what must the normal force be to make the forces cancel in the vertical direction?
4. what is the friction on the sled?
5. what is the horizontal component of F?
6. what is the horizontal acceleration of the sled?
7. what must F be to make all the forces in the horizontal direction equal to m*a

the answers of questions 2 through 6 all have the unknown F in them

now the work is (displacement) * (force in the direction of the displacement)

the fact that the sled accelerates is already included in the calculation for the force

Related to How Much Work is Needed to Pull a Sled on an Icy Road?

1. What causes the girl to slip on the icy road while pulling the sled?

The main cause of slipping on an icy road is a lack of friction between the surface and the shoes. When the temperature drops below freezing, the water on the road freezes and creates a thin layer of ice, making it difficult for shoes to grip the surface.

2. How can the girl prevent slipping while pulling the sled on an icy road?

Wearing appropriate footwear with good traction, such as boots or shoes with rubber soles, can help prevent slipping on an icy road. Additionally, walking slowly and carefully, using a sled with good grips, and avoiding sudden movements can also decrease the chances of slipping.

3. Is it safe for the girl to pull the sled on an icy road?

It is not recommended to pull a sled on an icy road as it can be dangerous. The risk of slipping and falling increases, and the sled can also lose control and potentially cause accidents. It is best to find an alternative location with less ice or wait for the road to be cleared before using a sled.

4. What precautions should the girl take while pulling the sled on an icy road?

Apart from wearing appropriate footwear and walking carefully, the girl should also be mindful of her surroundings. She should avoid pulling the sled on steep or uneven roads, lookout for any obstacles, and be cautious of any vehicles or pedestrians nearby.

5. Can the girl use any special equipment to make pulling the sled easier on an icy road?

Some types of sleds are designed for use on icy roads, with features such as metal or rubber grips on the bottom to increase traction. However, it is still essential to take precautions and be careful while using any equipment on an icy road.