How much work must you do to change length of spring?

In summary: JIn summary, the conversation discusses how to find the work required to change the length of a spring from 10 cm to 14 cm, given its relaxed length of 7 cm and stiffness of 200 N/m. The formula W = ∫ F*X dx is used, with F representing the force of the spring and X representing the distance. The final answer is found to be 0.008 J.
enchanteuse

Homework Statement

A spring has a relaxed length of 7 cm and a stiffness of 200 N/m. How much work must you do to change its length from 10 cm to 14 cm?

Homework Equations

Ef = Ei + W

The Attempt at a Solution

Ef = Ei + W
Ef = Ei + F*delta x
F*delta x = Ef - Ei
F*delta x = (Ki + Ui) - (Kf + Uf)
F*delta x = (1/2mvi^2 + 1/2ks si^2) - (1/2mvf^2 + 1/2ks sf^2)

I'm trying to break this equation apart to try to figure this out, but I'm not sure what to do next. Help!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You're making things too hard.

W = ∫ F*X dx

And what is F?

F = -k*x

so ...

Thinking about Hooke's Law

Since,

Force = -k * delta x

Force = 200N/m * 14 - 10 cm

or

Force = 200N/m * 0.04m

= Force required = 8N

Work = Force x Distance

Work = 8N x .04m

= 0.32 J

Wouldn't it be -0.32 J since F = -k * delta x?

enchanteuse said:
Wouldn't it be -0.32 J since F = -k * delta x?

Sure =)

I ignored the -...

Hmm well the answer supposedly isn't 0.32 J or -0.32 J.

The way you answered it makes perfect sense though...

I think you need to incorporate the 7 cm, but I'm not sure how.

enchanteuse said:
Hmm well the answer supposedly isn't 0.32 J or -0.32 J.

The way you answered it makes perfect sense though...

I think you need to incorporate the 7 cm, but I'm not sure how.

The limits of your integration are from .10 - .07 = .03 to .14 - 07 = .07.

-1/2k*x2 = 1/2*200*(-.032 + .072)

1. How does the length of a spring affect the amount of work required to change it?

The amount of work required to change the length of a spring depends on the stiffness or spring constant of the spring. A stiffer spring will require more work to change its length compared to a less stiff spring.

2. What is the formula for calculating the work done to change the length of a spring?

The formula for calculating the work done to change the length of a spring is W = 1/2 * k * (xf^2 - xi^2), where W is the work done, k is the spring constant, xf is the final length of the spring, and xi is the initial length of the spring.

3. How does the force applied to the spring affect the work required to change its length?

The force applied to the spring affects the work required to change its length by directly influencing the displacement of the spring. The greater the force applied, the greater the displacement and thus, the more work will be required.

4. Can the work done to change the length of a spring be negative?

Yes, the work done to change the length of a spring can be negative. This would occur if the force applied to the spring is in the opposite direction of the displacement, resulting in a negative value for work done.

5. How do the properties of the spring material affect the amount of work required to change its length?

The properties of the spring material, such as its elasticity and strength, can affect the amount of work required to change its length. A more elastic and stronger material would require more work to change the length of the spring compared to a less elastic and weaker material.