How Potts model hamiltonian is equal to hamiltonian matrix

In summary, the Potts model Hamiltonian and the matrix Hamiltonian are equal because for each row in the matrix, the sum of the elements is equal to the value of the Potts Hamiltonian for the corresponding state. This is illustrated by the example of a Potts model with three states, where the two Hamiltonians are given by similar equations and have equal values for each state.
Binvestigator
/How can I show that Potts model hamiltonian is equal to this matrix hamiltonian?

vhy0lDd.png

Potts have these situations : { 1 or 1 or 1 or 0 or 0 or 0}
but the matrix hamiltonian : { 1 or 1 or 1 or -1/2 or -1/2 or -1/2}

I take some example and couldn't find how they can be equal.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's take an example of a Potts model with three states, 1, 0, and -1. The Hamiltonian for this model is given by:H = Σi=1N (δi1 + δi0 + δi-1)Where δi is the Kronecker delta function, i.e. δi1 = 1 if i = 1, 0 if i ≠ 1; δi0 = 1 if i = 0, 0 if i ≠ 0; and δi-1 = 1 if i = -1, 0 if i ≠ -1.The corresponding matrix Hamiltonian for this system is given by: H = (1/2) [ 1 1 1 -1 -1 -1 1 0 -1 ] You can see that for each row in the matrix, the sum of the elements is equal to the value of the Potts Hamiltonian for the corresponding state. For instance, for row 1: 1 + 1 + 1 = 3 = δ11 + δ10 + δ1-1 Therefore, the Potts Hamiltonian and the matrix Hamiltonian are equivalent.

1. How is the Potts model Hamiltonian related to the Hamiltonian matrix?

The Potts model Hamiltonian is a mathematical representation of the energy of a system of interacting spins, while the Hamiltonian matrix is a matrix representation of the total energy of a quantum system. The Potts model Hamiltonian can be transformed into a Hamiltonian matrix through a series of mathematical operations, such as converting the spin variables into quantum states and taking the expectation value of the Hamiltonian operator. This allows for the study of spin systems using quantum mechanics.

2. What is the significance of the Potts model in statistical mechanics?

The Potts model is a lattice model in statistical mechanics that describes the behavior of a system of interacting spins. It is a simplified version of the more complex Ising model and is used to study phase transitions and critical phenomena. The Potts model has also been applied to various systems such as ferromagnets, polymers, and biological systems.

3. How is the Potts model Hamiltonian used in computer simulations?

In computer simulations, the Potts model Hamiltonian is used to calculate the energy of a spin system at different configurations. This allows for the simulation of the behavior of the system at different temperatures and helps in understanding the phase transitions and critical phenomena of the system. The Potts model Hamiltonian is also used to generate random spin configurations for Monte Carlo simulations.

4. Can the Potts model Hamiltonian be extended to include higher-order spin interactions?

Yes, the Potts model Hamiltonian can be extended to include interactions between more than two spins. These higher-order interactions can be described by adding terms to the Hamiltonian that take into account the interactions between multiple spins. This extension allows for the study of more complex systems and the emergence of new phenomena.

5. How is the Potts model Hamiltonian applied in real-world systems?

The Potts model Hamiltonian has been applied to a wide range of real-world systems, including magnetic materials, polymers, and biological systems. In magnetic materials, it is used to understand and predict the behavior of magnetic materials such as ferromagnets and antiferromagnets. In polymers, it is used to study the phase transitions and critical phenomena in polymer chains. In biological systems, the Potts model has been used to study the interactions between proteins and their folding behavior.