Is Time a Scalar or a Vector in Physics?

• Thread starter louis arthur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of negative signs in equations related to speed, distance, and time. The speaker explores the implications of placing negative signs on different sides of the fraction and how it affects the physical processes being represented. They also mention the concept of negative frequency in spectral plots and how it took them a while to understand it. The conversation concludes with a brief discussion on whether time can be considered a scalar or vector quantity.
louis arthur
I was looking at how speed = distance/time. Then i started messing around with negative signs in the equation and it gave me strange things to think about. I can put a negative sign on the top or bottom of the fraction side and I have a negative speed. When I think about traveling at negative speeds across negative distance, that is acceptable as an object driving away from me with the transmission in reverse. But if the negative sign is on the time side of the fraction, I think about that object moving the same as the former object. This messes up my concept of the entropy in the motion of these objects since the latter would have exhaust rushing into the muffler. I looked at each variable equaling the other two, and the various ways a negative sign can change the real life concepts of what is actually happening. In the end I sat there dumb-founded at the significance of the negative sign being on particular sides of the fraction, how it relates to the actual physical processes and why I was taught that where the negative is in a fraction is insignificant. I am new to thinking about science and math and such. Is this a real thing that is considered by physicists and physics students?

louis arthur

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't sweat the negative signs in the equation that you are considering. Just as you imply, you can run the "video" of the situation backwards or forwards in many situations. Negative signs show up lots of times, and you just have to think some about what they mean. Like the concept of negative frequency in spectral plots...that took me a while to get my arms around.

louis arthur said:
When I think about traveling at negative speeds across negative distance, that is acceptable as an object driving away from me with the transmission in reverse.
I don't think that's right. Speed and Distance are both scalar quantities - they have no direction to them. So (unlike velocity), a negative speed does not mean going backwards - it's not really comparable to anything in the real world.

Libertine said:
I don't think that's right. Speed and Distance are both scalar quantities - they have no direction to them. So (unlike velocity), a negative speed does not mean going backwards - it's not really comparable to anything in the real world.

As you quite rightly said, distance and hence speed are scalar quanities. However, it is therefore impossible to have a negative speed. Negative times do not usually occur because we are usually trying to find out what happens after an event (t=0), a ball being hit, or a projectile being fired etc.

is time a scalar quantity?

Under normal cricustances, time is a scalar. However, under some circustances, such as when considering relativity, time can be considered a vector quantity. An example of this would be the 'light cone' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_cone :smile:

Related to Is Time a Scalar or a Vector in Physics?

What is the formula for speed?

The formula for speed is speed = distance/time. This means that in order to calculate the speed of an object, you need to divide the distance it has traveled by the time it took to travel that distance.

What units are used to measure speed?

The most commonly used units to measure speed are meters per second (m/s), kilometers per hour (km/h), and miles per hour (mph). However, depending on the context, other units such as feet per second (ft/s) or kilometers per minute (km/min) may also be used.

Can speed be negative?

Yes, speed can be negative. This usually happens when an object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen reference point. For example, if a car is moving west but the reference point is east, the speed of the car will be negative.

How does speed affect an object's motion?

Speed is one of the factors that determines an object's motion. The higher the speed, the faster the object will move. However, the direction of the object's motion is also important in determining its overall motion.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed and velocity are often used interchangeably, but they have a slight difference. While speed only considers the magnitude of an object's motion, velocity takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the motion. In other words, velocity is a vector quantity, while speed is a scalar quantity.