How steep is the hill at a point 1 mile north?

In summary: You should be getting: -5,12.In summary, the hill is approximately 10 feet high, the gradient of the hill is -7 feet per mile, and the tip of the hill is at (1,1).
noblegas

Homework Statement

the height of a certain hill is given by

h(x,y)=10(2xy-3x^2-4y^2-18x+28y+12)

wher y is the distance north and x is the distance east of south hadley

a)Where is the top of the hill

b) how high is the hill

c) how steep is the hill at a point 1 mile north

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

dh/dx=y-3x-9=0

dh/dy=x-4y+14=0

using linear system of algebra I find that my coordinates on top of the hill are

(x=-26,y=-3)

b) just plug in the coordinates you got in part a, into the h function; answer: h(x=-26,y=-3)

c) the slope would just be the gradient of h , which is: [tex]\nabla[/tex]h=(dh/dx)x-hat+(dh/dy)y-hat=-7x-hat+11y-hat

|[tex]\nabla[/tex]h|=sqrt(49+196)

direction is just: cos(theta)=[tex]\nabla[/tex]h dot dl/(
|[tex]\nabla[/tex]h||dl|), you take the inverse of cos(theta)

Physics news on Phys.org
In the problem it is given that the x is the distance east of south.
Will it make any difference on the co-ordinates of the tip of the hill?

noblegas said:
dh/dx=y-3x-9=0

dh/dy=x-4y+14=0

using linear system of algebra I find that my coordinates on top of the hill are

(x=-26,y=-3)

Your equations look correct, but your result (-26,-3) is not...check your algebra.

b) just plug in the coordinates you got in part a, into the h function; answer: h(x=-26,y=-3)

Right idea

c) the slope would just be the gradient of h , which is: [tex]\nabla[/tex]h=(dh/dx)x-hat+(dh/dy)y-hat=-7x-hat+11y-hat

Check your math on that again...you are missing a factor of 20(!) and your x-component is incorrect.

rl.bhat said:
In the problem it is given that the x is the distance east of south.
Will it make any difference on the co-ordinates of the tip of the hill?

No, "x is the distance East of South Hadley"...South Hadley being the name of a town :wink:

To be fair, this isn't a very good characterization of the topography of the region. =( On what interval is this function valid? I get the feeling they're aiming for Mount Holyoke, simply because it's close to where the peak of the function is, though.

gabbagabbahey said:
Check your math on that again...you are missing a factor of 20(!) and your x-component is incorrect.

I did check my math and I continue to come up with: [tex]\nabla[/tex]h=(y-3x-9)x-hat+(x-4*y+14)y-hat, with x=1,y=1

noblegas said:
I did check my math and I continue to come up with: [tex]\nabla[/tex]h=(y-3x-9)x-hat+(x-4*y+14)y-hat, with x=1,y=1

Look at your original expression for 'h'...you are missing the factor of 10 in front and also another factor of 2 that you seem to have divided by...in part (a) it didn't matter, because you were setting it equal to zero, but here it does matter.

Also, when you plug in (1,1) to your above expression you do not get (-7,11).

Related to How steep is the hill at a point 1 mile north?

1. What is differential calculus?

Differential calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of rates of change of quantities. It involves the use of derivatives, which are mathematical tools that help us understand how a function changes at a given point.

2. What is the difference between differential calculus and integral calculus?

Differential calculus focuses on the study of rates of change and derivatives, while integral calculus deals with the accumulation of quantities and the use of integrals. These two branches are interconnected and are essential in solving real-world problems in mathematics, science, and engineering.

3. How is differential calculus useful in real life?

Differential calculus has many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to model and analyze various systems that are constantly changing, such as motion, population growth, and market trends.

4. What are the basic concepts in differential calculus?

The basic concepts in differential calculus include limits, continuity, derivatives, and applications of derivatives. These concepts are essential in understanding the behavior of functions and solving problems involving rates of change.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving differential calculus problems?

The best way to improve your skills in solving differential calculus problems is through practice. Start with simple problems and gradually move on to more complex ones. You can also seek help from textbooks, online resources, or a tutor to guide you and provide feedback on your progress.