How to be sure that a series isn't a fourier series of a derivable function

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Telemachus
Messages
820
Reaction score
30
Hi there. I have this interesting problem which I don't know how to solve. I'll post it here because I think more people will se it, but I'm not sure if this is the proper subforum.



The problem says: How can be sure that [tex]\sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac{1}{n}\sin (nx)[/tex] isn't the Fourier series of a derivable function?



I thought that it doesn't accomplish the Diritchlet postulates, but it actually doesn't mean that it isn't a Fourier series.



Does anyone know how to solve this?



Bye there and thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I don't know what you mean with [tex]l^2[/tex]
 
[tex]\ell^2=\{(x_n)_n~\vert~\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty}{|x_n|^2}<+\infty\}[/tex]

So basically, the coefficients of a Fourier series must be square summable. In fact, a sequence forms the coefficients of a Fourier series if and only if they are square summable!
 
Thanks. I think I'm not familiar with this definition. We've defined in class that a Fourier series it's a Fourier series if it accomplish Diritchlet conditions, and that the Fourier series are the series that minimizes the quadratic error.
 
Suppose:

[tex] f(x) \equiv \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}{\frac{\sin n \, x}{n}}[/tex]

Take the derivative term by term:

[tex] f'(x) = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}{\cos n \, x}[/tex]

Do the coefficients of this Fourier series form a convergent sum?