How to be sure that a series isn't a fourier series of a derivable function

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining whether a given Fourier series is that of a derivable function or not. It is mentioned that the series does not satisfy the Dirichlet postulates, but this does not necessarily mean that it is not a Fourier series. The conversation then moves on to discussing the definition of a Fourier series and the conditions it must satisfy. Finally, the question is posed about whether the coefficients of the derivative of the given series form a convergent sum.
Telemachus
Hi there. I have this interesting problem which I don't know how to solve. I'll post it here because I think more people will se it, but I'm not sure if this is the proper subforum.

The problem says: How can be sure that [tex]\sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac{1}{n}\sin (nx)[/tex] isn't the Fourier series of a derivable function?

I thought that it doesn't accomplish the Diritchlet postulates, but it actually doesn't mean that it isn't a Fourier series.

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Bye there and thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that coefficients of Fourier series are in [itex]\ell^2[/itex]...

Sorry, I don't know what you mean with [tex]l^2[/tex]

[tex]\ell^2=\{(x_n)_n~\vert~\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty}{|x_n|^2}<+\infty\}[/tex]

So basically, the coefficients of a Fourier series must be square summable. In fact, a sequence forms the coefficients of a Fourier series if and only if they are square summable!

Thanks. I think I'm not familiar with this definition. We've defined in class that a Fourier series it's a Fourier series if it accomplish Diritchlet conditions, and that the Fourier series are the series that minimizes the quadratic error.

Suppose:

[tex]
f(x) \equiv \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}{\frac{\sin n \, x}{n}}
[/tex]

Take the derivative term by term:

[tex]
f'(x) = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}{\cos n \, x}
[/tex]

Do the coefficients of this Fourier series form a convergent sum?

1. How can I tell if a series is a Fourier series of a differentiable function?

To determine if a series is a Fourier series of a differentiable function, you can use the Dirichlet conditions. These conditions state that the function must be piecewise continuous, have a finite number of discontinuities, and have a finite number of maxima and minima in any finite interval. If these conditions are met, then the series is a Fourier series of a differentiable function.

2. Can a non-differentiable function have a Fourier series?

No, a non-differentiable function cannot have a Fourier series because the Dirichlet conditions require the function to be differentiable. If the function is not differentiable, then it cannot satisfy these conditions and therefore cannot have a Fourier series representation.

3. What is the significance of a Fourier series being a representation of a differentiable function?

A Fourier series being a representation of a differentiable function means that the function can be approximated by a series of sine and cosine functions. This allows for the function to be broken down into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and understand its behavior.

4. Are there any other conditions besides differentiability that determine if a series is a Fourier series?

Yes, in addition to the Dirichlet conditions, there are also convergence conditions that must be met for a series to be a Fourier series. These conditions ensure that the series converges to the original function and that the Fourier coefficients are well-defined.

5. Can a Fourier series accurately represent any function?

No, a Fourier series can only accurately represent certain types of functions. It is not possible for a Fourier series to represent all functions due to limitations such as discontinuities and infinite oscillations. However, for functions that satisfy the Dirichlet conditions and have a finite number of discontinuities, a Fourier series can provide a very accurate representation.