How to Begin Differentiating Products with x^2(x+1)(x-2)^7?

In summary, the conversation discusses differentiating a product of three functions and using the product rule to simplify the process. The Leibniz rule is also mentioned as a way to extend the product rule to a larger number of factors. The use of primes to denote differentiation is clarified.
footprints
[tex]x^2(x+1)(x-2)^7[/tex]
Could someone show me how to start?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you currently have a product of three functions. I suggest starting by 'combining' the first two parts of the product as follows.

[tex]
\frac{d}{{dx}}\left[ {x^2 \left( {x + 1} \right)\left( {x - 2} \right)^7 } \right] = \frac{d}{{dx}}\left[ {\left( {x^3 + x^2 } \right)\left( {x - 2} \right)^7 } \right]
[/tex]

Now just use the product rule to differentiate it.

Ah! I thought so to. But just wasn't sure. Thanks! Hapyy new year! :smile:

In this simple case it works,as u're,mutiplying two simple polynomials.But what if thepolynomials had 50 terms?Would u do 2500 multiplications?
Here's the deal:the Leibniz rule is very general.It can be easily extended to finite arbitrary number of factors:
[tex](ABC...Z)'=A'BC...Z+AB'C...Z+ABC'...Z+...+ABC...Z' [/tex]
In your case,there are only 3 very simple polynomials.If u want to,u may not make the multiplications after the differentiation.

Daniel.

EDIT:'Prime' denotes differentiation.

Last edited:
Just checking, [tex]A'[/tex] is what I get after I differentiate A right?

Last edited:
footprints said:
Just checking, [tex]A'[/tex] is what I get after I differentiate A right?

Yes it is.

Thanks Nylex! Happy New Year!

Related to How to Begin Differentiating Products with x^2(x+1)(x-2)^7?

What is differentiation of products?

Differentiation of products is the process of creating unique and distinctive features or characteristics for a product or service to set it apart from its competitors. This can include aspects such as design, functionality, quality, and branding.

Why is differentiation important for a product?

Differentiation is important because it allows a product to stand out in a crowded market and attract customers. It also helps to create a competitive advantage, as it makes it difficult for competitors to replicate the unique features of the product.

How can a company differentiate its products?

There are several ways a company can differentiate its products, such as through product design, quality, branding, packaging, and customer service. It can also differentiate based on price, target market, or distribution channels.

What are the benefits of differentiation for a company?

The benefits of differentiation for a company include increased customer loyalty and retention, the ability to charge higher prices for unique features, and a stronger brand image. It can also lead to increased market share and profitability.

What are some examples of successful product differentiation?

Examples of successful product differentiation include Apple's sleek and innovative product design, Coca-Cola's unique branding and marketing strategy, and Nike's focus on high-quality and performance-driven products. Other examples include Tesla's electric cars, Starbucks' premium coffee experience, and Toms' socially responsible business model.