Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate power output in piezoelectric material?

1. Mar 10, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I want to use piezoelectric material to harvest compression energy, i need to calculate the power output but i can't find enough information on the web to figure it out...

First, I want to learn how to calculate the power output of piezoelectric material using d33 and g33 data.

Second, what kind of piezoelectric material should i buy to get the most power at low frequency under a stress of 0,5 kN for the price.

Third, how piezo cable perform vs ceramics, because it would be a lot easier to install them in my device.

Thank you all for your responses!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2013 #2
    Hi,

The most important parameter for energy generation with a piezoelectric material is its electromechanical coupling factor, in your case k33. Its mechanical quality factor is also important. PZT is the most common piezoelectric material and may be a good start, depending on your application.

But that's not the only thing: if your mechanical input is a force, you should also design a structure that resonates at the same frequency than that of the force. You mention "low frequencies" in your post. Which range are you talking about?

4. Apr 19, 2013 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Force isn't energy: you need to know the displacement to calculate available input energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook