How does electron in a piezoelectric material flow to produce electric

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
kevin_tee
Messages
80
Reaction score
2
How does electron in a piezoelectric material flow to produce electricity? I read about piezoelectricity but I don't know exactly how it works. When stress is apply to piezoelectric material, the structure deform and create non-zero dipole moment and then what happen? How does electron flow? Does electron flow from higher electronegativity to lower electronegativity and why piezoelectric material must keep be deforming to produce electric current, can it just deform and keep it in that shape to produce constant electric current? So simply, I don't know how electron flow from where to where inside piezoelectric material. Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
See if these references help:

First Principles Theories of Piezoelectric Materials
http://arxiv.org/ftp/cond-mat/papers/0702/0702686.pdf

Theory of Piezoelectric Materials and Their Applications in Civil Engineering
http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/66839/757753448.pdf?sequence=1

Fundamental Theory of Piezotronics
http://nanoscience.gatech.edu/paper/2011/11_AM_02.pdf

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/available/etd-042299-150134/unrestricted/Chapter2.pdf

http://www.sonustc.com/la_zh/upload/DownFiles/TD/Piezoelectric_Theory.pdf
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: estv
Thanks for reply, I will take my time reading it.