How to calculate RMS voltage from triac phase angle

In summary, to calculate the resultant peak voltage, RMS voltage, and power for a given phase angle in a system using a triac, you can use the formula Vload = Vpeak * √((2π-2θ+sin(2θ))/(4π)), where θ is the triggering angle. This can also be visualized using graphs of output voltage waveforms. The RMS voltage can be found by integrating the sin2θ function over the active time of the switch and then multiplying by √2. The peak value is simply the value of sin(θ) at the turn on time. This formula assumes a resistive load.
DC12
Hi,
In a system that uses a triac to switch mains voltage, how can one calculate the resultant peak voltage, RMS voltage and power for a given phase (conduction) angle e.g. 50°?

Many thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
in the usual way. Draw the output wave form graphs. That will directly give you peak.
RMS volatge = Sqrt of avg of square of instantaneous voltage. This you calculate by integration. And for finding the power, you need wave-form of current as well.
The you find power = Avg of ( V(instantaneous) * I(instantaneous) ) over a cycle.
In short, you need to do some work. :)
And, welcome of PF.

Thanks for your reply 'I_am_learning'

Drawing graphs is one way but I need a more technical solution. I need the formula!

Just a mathematical way to calculate the peak voltage based on a phase angle would be sufficient.
Here's hoping...

DC12, I believe if you draw some graphs of output voltage wave-forms for few values of firing angle (like, 30, 90, 150, 300 etc), then the formula you are trying to find will be apparent.
Sorry, but we can't do your homework here.

Thanks again I_am_learning. Graphs don't help at all. This needs to be done many times for many different levels and numerous angles - I just don't have enough ink and paper. No homework being done here sir.

DC12 said:
Thanks again I_am_learning. Graphs don't help at all. This needs to be done many times for many different levels and numerous angles - I just don't have enough ink and paper. No homework being done here sir.

I think he's saying just work out one or a few cases, and find the relationships. Then you can apply what you see to a general case. I would tell you, but I don't know an equation for this off the top of my head.

I think that equation for RMS voltage across the load look like this:

[tex]V_{load} = Vpeak *\sqrt{\frac{2 \pi - 2 \varphi + sin2 \varphi}{4\pi}}[/tex]

Where [tex]\varphi - triac- angle- delay = triggering -angle[/tex] .

[tex]for-0\varphi - triac- is- full- on[/tex] .[tex]And for- \frac{\pi}{2} V_{load} = Vpeak/2[/tex] .

Or use this graph
triacs-char.gif

http://educypedia.karadimov.info/library/an1003.pdf

Last edited:
I thought that I shows some example.
For V = 230V we have 325V peak and conduction angle 50° so the triggering angle must be equal to 130°.

attachment.php?attachmentid=43341&stc=1&d=1328032871.png

First we must convert 130° degrees to radians:

r = 130 * ∏/180 = 130 * 0.0174 = 2.26 [rad]
I use Wolframalpha
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=sqr(+(2pi+-+2*2.26+++sin(2*2.26))/(4pi)+)

but you could use Google too

Code:
sqr( (2pi - 2*2.26 + sin(2*2.26))/(4pi) )

Vload = 325V * √ ( (2*pi - 2*r + sin(2r) ) / (4pi) ) = 325V * 0.249 = 80.9Vrms

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    7.4 KB · Views: 9,984
Last edited:
You can calculate RMS by integrating the sin2θ function over the active time of the switch. Thats where the √2 comes from over the whole cycle.
The peak value is just the value of the sin(θ) at the turn on time.
This assumes a resistive load, of course.

Perfect. Thanks Jony130 and others!

1. How do I calculate the RMS voltage from a triac phase angle?

The formula for calculating RMS voltage from a triac phase angle is VRMS = Vpeak * √(2/π) * cos(θ), where Vpeak is the peak voltage and θ is the phase angle.

2. What is the significance of the phase angle in calculating RMS voltage from a triac?

The phase angle represents the percentage of the AC cycle that the triac is conducting. It affects the average voltage output of the triac, which in turn affects the RMS voltage calculation.

3. How do I measure the peak voltage for the RMS voltage calculation?

The peak voltage can be measured using a voltmeter across the AC source, or by using the formula Vpeak = VRMS * √2. This assumes a perfect sine wave.

4. Is the RMS voltage the same as the average voltage?

No, the RMS voltage takes into account the magnitude and duration of each voltage peak, while the average voltage simply calculates the average of all voltage measurements. The RMS voltage is a more accurate representation of the voltage output.

5. Are there any limitations to using the RMS voltage calculation for triac phase angle control?

Yes, the RMS voltage calculation assumes a perfect sine wave and does not take into account any distortions or harmonics in the AC source. This may result in some discrepancies between the calculated and actual RMS voltage. Additionally, the triac may not be able to fully control the voltage output at very low phase angles due to conduction losses.