How to Calculate volumatric expansion coefficient of steel

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of thermal stress on a sphere and the need for the volumetric expansion coefficient of steel. It is suggested to use the linear coefficient of thermal expansion for dimensional changes and 3 times that value for volumetric changes. There is also mention of a data source for the mean coefficient of thermal expansion for 316ss.
adv_eng
hello,
i am trying to calculate thermal stress on sphere, considering chage in temperature causes chage in volume of the sphere so needed volumatric expansion coefficient of steel; i have a data about mean coefficient of thermal expansion for 316ss..is there any way to calculate volumetric expansion coefficient or can use mean coefficient of thermal expansion for calculation...? is there any standard source to get these values...?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you specifically interested in the change in volume with temperature, or or you interested in dimensional changes? If all you need is dimensional change, just use the linear coefficient of thermal expansion (1/degrees K); if you want volumetric change, you just need to apply the volume calculation of a sphere with the linear coefficient of thermal expansion to get a result in (delta vol)/((vol)(degrees K)).

adv_eng said:
hello,
i am trying to calculate thermal stress on sphere, considering chage in temperature causes chage in volume of the sphere so needed volumatric expansion coefficient of steel; i have a data about mean coefficient of thermal expansion for 316ss..is there any way to calculate volumetric expansion coefficient or can use mean coefficient of thermal expansion for calculation...? is there any standard source to get these values...?

It is a straightforward exercise to show that the coefficient of volumetric expansion of a material is equal to 3 times the coefficient of linear expansion.

Chestermiller said:
It is a straightforward exercise to show that the coefficient of volumetric expansion of a material is equal to 3 times the coefficient of linear expansion.

Yes, unfortunately our O.P. has abandoned us. Maybe he figured it out on his own... :wink:

1. What is the formula for calculating the volumetric expansion coefficient of steel?

The formula for calculating the volumetric expansion coefficient of steel is: α = (V₂ - V₁) / (V₁ * (T₂ - T₁)) where α is the coefficient, V₂ is the final volume, V₁ is the initial volume, T₂ is the final temperature, and T₁ is the initial temperature.

2. How do I determine the initial and final volumes of steel for the calculation?

To determine the initial and final volumes of steel, you will need to measure the dimensions of the steel object in both its initial and final state. You can then use these measurements to calculate the volume using the appropriate formula (e.g. for a cube, V = l * w * h).

3. What units should I use for the temperature and volume in the formula?

The temperature should be measured in Kelvin (K) and the volume should be measured in cubic meters (m³) for accurate results. However, as long as the units are consistent, you can use any unit of measurement for temperature and volume in the formula.

4. Can I use the same formula for all types of steel?

The same formula can be used for all types of steel, as long as the temperature and volume are measured in the correct units. However, the coefficient of thermal expansion (α) may vary slightly depending on the specific type of steel being used.

5. What is the significance of calculating the volumetric expansion coefficient of steel?

Calculating the volumetric expansion coefficient of steel is important in determining how much a steel object will expand or contract when subjected to changes in temperature. This information is crucial in engineering and construction projects, as it helps ensure structural integrity and avoid potential damages due to thermal expansion.