How to Calculate volumatric expansion coefficient of steel

• Thread starter adv_eng
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

hello,
i am trying to calculate thermal stress on sphere, considering chage in temperature causes chage in volume of the sphere so needed volumatric expansion coefficient of steel; i have a data about mean coefficient of thermal expansion for 316ss..is there any way to calculate volumetric expansion coefficient or can use mean coefficient of thermal expansion for calculation...? is there any standard source to get these values....?

Answers and Replies

Mech_Engineer
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Are you specifically interested in the change in volume with temperature, or or you interested in dimensional changes? If all you need is dimensional change, just use the linear coefficient of thermal expansion (1/degrees K); if you want volumetric change, you just need to apply the volume calculation of a sphere with the linear coefficient of thermal expansion to get a result in (delta vol)/((vol)(degrees K)).

hello,
i am trying to calculate thermal stress on sphere, considering chage in temperature causes chage in volume of the sphere so needed volumatric expansion coefficient of steel; i have a data about mean coefficient of thermal expansion for 316ss..is there any way to calculate volumetric expansion coefficient or can use mean coefficient of thermal expansion for calculation...? is there any standard source to get these values....?
It is a straightforward exercise to show that the coefficient of volumetric expansion of a material is equal to 3 times the coefficient of linear expansion.

Mech_Engineer
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It is a straightforward exercise to show that the coefficient of volumetric expansion of a material is equal to 3 times the coefficient of linear expansion.
Yes, unfortunately our O.P. has abandoned us. Maybe he figured it out on his own... :wink: