Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to create bootable CD for windows 2000

1. Jul 9, 2003 #1
    I have a CDRW writer, how to do it ?
    So that i can boot into my PC at DOS prompt.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2003 #2
    Nero can create bootable CD's, don't ask me how to do it though cause I have never tried. :smile:

4. Jul 10, 2003 #3
    Now would be a good time to...

..integrate a service pack into your original files prior to making the bootable CD;

http://www.duspinnst.com/bootcd.htm

5. Jul 10, 2003 #4

megashawn

Science Advisor

after doing that you may also have to change the boot sequence in bios so that it reads the cd drive first.

Seems like if you did this, then you could simply transfer the contents of a floppy boot disk to the cd-r.

You know, using Nero, or probably most any burn software, with your floppy boot disk in the A: drive (or whichever your's is), simply drag (select all and hold the left button down) the entire contents of the boot disk and drop it on the CD-r pane.

Theres probably dozens of methods, here is a good site for ya:

http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/#whatis

6. Jul 10, 2003 #5

Dx

My question is why you want to do this, are you having problems bringing up your windows? if so then you need a boot disk so try bootdisk to find your boot app then to fix your problem try reinstalling windows and run a complete virus scan to doulbe check. You might have to do a total instal vs a clean one.
    Increase the peace!
    Dx :wink:

7. Jul 11, 2003 #6

megashawn

Science Advisor

Some people like to be able to boot up to a plain ole dos prompt believe it or not.

Perhaps to play old dos games or apps?

8. Jul 16, 2003 #7

Dx

Perhaps so but you dont need a boot disk to do that.

got to ->programs -> accesories ->cprompt

Dx :wink:

9. Jul 18, 2003 #8

megashawn

Science Advisor

but when you choose that route, your not running true dos, but actually an emulation.

More memory intense games could suffer a performance hit running in windows mode. Shouldn't be an issue with new pc's, but a computer running winXP with minimal ram emulating a dos prompt to play old wolf3d would definetly suffer.

Hey, who knows. DOS is handy to keep around, and some ppl are just ole school.

For example, I prefer an old fdisk program to any modern partition software. Don't know why really, I just do. Old habits.

10. Jul 21, 2003 #9

Dx

Nothing wrong with that!:wink:

11. Aug 3, 2003 #10
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?