How to design a diode circuit?

In summary, the task at hand is to design a circuit that turns on at an input of 5V and turns off at an input of 15V. The current can be controlled using resistors and diodes, but it is not possible to achieve the desired outcome without using a transistor.
sadf

Homework Statement

Given an input range of voltages (for example, 5-15V), design a circuit using resistors and diodes (and voltage sources) to turn on at input = 5V and turn off at input = 15V. (I chose 5 and 15 arbitrarily).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am able to get it to turn on at 5V (I would just put about 7 of the standard 0.7V threshold diodes in series), but my understanding is that the current will skyrocket at 5V and then plateau at a voltage slightly higher than 5. I don't know how to get it to continue rising until 15V and then stop there...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, sadf!

I thought I had an idea, then realized it was wrong.
I now think it is impossible to do this without a transistor.

Last edited:

1. How do I choose the correct diode for my circuit?

The first step in choosing a diode for your circuit is to determine the voltage and current requirements of your circuit. This will help you determine the appropriate size and type of diode to use. You should also consider the reverse voltage and forward current ratings of the diode to ensure it can handle the conditions of your circuit.

2. What is the purpose of a diode in a circuit?

A diode is a semiconductor device that allows current to flow in only one direction. It is often used in circuits to convert alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC), or to protect sensitive components from reverse voltage. It can also be used as a switch or voltage regulator.

3. How do I calculate the appropriate resistor for my diode circuit?

The value of the resistor in a diode circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law (R = V/I). You will need to know the forward voltage drop of the diode and the desired current for the circuit. It is recommended to choose a resistor with a slightly higher value than the calculated value to ensure the diode is not overdriven.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when designing a diode circuit?

Some common mistakes when designing a diode circuit include using the wrong type of diode for the application, not considering the diode's maximum ratings, and not properly protecting the diode from reverse voltage. It is also important to ensure the diode is connected in the correct orientation and that the circuit is properly grounded.

5. Can I use multiple diodes in a circuit?

Yes, multiple diodes can be used in a circuit. This can be done in series to increase the forward voltage drop, or in parallel to increase the current handling capacity. It is important to ensure the diodes are connected properly and that the circuit is designed to handle the increased voltage or current.