How to determine the atomic plane without knowing it beforehand?

In summary: Overall, it is important to carefully consider all variables and experimental conditions when determining atomic plane spacing from diffraction peaks. In summary, to locate the atomic plane experimentally, we first need to determine the grazing angle at which maximum diffraction intensity occurs and then apply Bragg's law. However, without knowing the location of the atomic plane, the grazing angle cannot be defined. When analyzing diffraction peaks, it is important to consider all possible factors that could affect the measured atomic plane spacing.
toex
What I know is that we can determine the grazing angle at which has maximum diffraction intensity, and then apply Bragg's law. But at first we have to know where is the atomic plane, otherwise the grazing angle cannot be defined. So if I have an unknown crystal, how do we actually locate the atomic plane experimentally?

Suppose I have a diffraction spectrum, and I got 2 peaks, are they the first and second order diffraction peak? But then I calculated the atomic plane spacing using 2d sin(theta) = n(wavelength),where d is the atomic plane spacing, theta is the grazing angle, I got 300% difference in the 2 d's, what may account for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The difference in the two d values could be due to a number of factors. One possible cause is that the two peaks may not actually be the first and second order diffraction peak, but instead two different reflections from different planes. Another possibility is that the crystal structure is not perfectly regular, which can result in different lattice spacings for different atomic planes. Finally, the angle of incidence or grazing angle at which the reflection was measured might have been slightly different for the two peaks, resulting in a different d value.

1. What is an atomic plane?

An atomic plane is a theoretical plane that represents the arrangement of atoms in a crystal lattice. It is defined by the positions of the atoms and the distances between them.

2. Why is it important to determine the atomic plane?

Determining the atomic plane is important for understanding the structure and properties of materials. It can also help in designing new materials with specific properties.

3. How can the atomic plane be determined without prior knowledge?

There are various techniques that can be used to determine the atomic plane without prior knowledge, such as X-ray diffraction, transmission electron microscopy, and atomic force microscopy. These techniques can reveal the arrangement of atoms in a material and help identify the atomic plane.

4. What factors affect the determination of the atomic plane?

The accuracy of determining the atomic plane can be affected by factors such as the quality of the sample, the resolution of the instrument being used, and the presence of defects or impurities in the material.

5. Can the atomic plane of a material change?

Yes, the atomic plane of a material can change due to various factors such as temperature, pressure, and external forces. This can result in changes in the material's properties as well.