Calculating Molarity & Volume of Cu(NO3)2

In summary, the problem involves finding the molarity and volume of Cu(NO3)2 given that there is .50 g of copper and 10M HNO3 in a 5mL solution. The calculations have been done to determine the moles of Cu(NO3)2, but the final volume is needed to calculate the concentration. It is suggested to assume a final volume of 5mL, but this may not be accurate due to the limited accuracy of the given data.
gurpalc

Homework Statement

My problem is in the attachment. I am trying to find the molarity and volume of Cu(NO3)2 while I only know Cu has .50 g and HNO3 is 10M and is 5mL.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done my calculations on the right. What I have circled is what I believe to be the moles of Cu(NO3)2. The copper is limiting I assume. I don't know where to go from there. Please help.

Attachments

• chem pic.jpg
    chem pic.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 393
Physics news on Phys.org

Your calculations are barely readable. Number of moles of copper nitrate seems to be OK.

You need final volume to calculate concentration. Hard to help not seeing the question, but if you are not given any other information, assume 5 mL.

Borek said:
Your calculations are barely readable. Number of moles of copper nitrate seems to be OK.

You need final volume to calculate concentration. Hard to help not seeing the question, but if you are not given any other information, assume 5 mL.
How do I find final volume of Cu(NO3)2. That's what I'm stuck on. I don't know how to make the calculations.

Have you read what I wrote?

Yes but I don't get it.

Some acid was consumed and replaced with copper. Even if the volume of the liquid changed during the reaction, it didn't change by much. This is only an approximation, but there is no better one available.

On a very general level it would be possible to calculate more exact volume given density tables of nitric acid solutions and nitric acid/copper nitrate solutions. Two problems with this idea. First, I have never seen density table for a mixture of nitric acid and copper nitrate (and I have seen plenty of density tables). Second, you are limited by the accuracy of mass and volume, as they are given with one significant digit only - using very accurate method for inaccurate data won't give a better result.

Don't read if you are already confused:
0.5 g means anything between 0.45 and 0.55 g, 5 mL means anything between 4.5 mL and 5.5 mL. That in turn means amount of copper is between 7.08x10-3 and 8.66x10-3 moles, and concentration something between 7.08x10-3mol/0.0055L=1.29M and 8.66x10-3mol/0.0045L=1.92M - almost 50% difference. Error you are making assuming final volume of 5mL is most likely not larger than 10% - so much smaller than the one already intrinsic to the data.

1. What is molarity and how is it calculated?

Molarity is a unit of concentration that measures the number of moles of a solute in a liter of solution. It is calculated by dividing the number of moles of the solute by the volume of the solution in liters.

2. How do I calculate the molarity of Cu(NO3)2?

To calculate the molarity of Cu(NO3)2, you will need to know the number of moles of Cu(NO3)2 and the volume of the solution in liters. Once you have this information, simply divide the number of moles by the volume to get the molarity.

3. How do I determine the volume of Cu(NO3)2 needed to make a certain molarity solution?

To determine the volume of Cu(NO3)2 needed, you will first need to know the desired molarity and the number of moles of Cu(NO3)2 you have. Then, divide the number of moles by the desired molarity to get the volume in liters.

4. What is the formula for calculating the volume of Cu(NO3)2?

The formula for calculating the volume of Cu(NO3)2 is: Volume (L) = Number of moles / Molarity.

5. Can I use the molarity and volume of Cu(NO3)2 to determine the concentration of other solutions?

Yes, you can use the molarity and volume of Cu(NO3)2 to determine the concentration of other solutions. You will need to use the formula: M1V1 = M2V2, where M1 is the initial molarity, V1 is the initial volume, M2 is the final molarity, and V2 is the final volume.