How to find dy/dt and dx/dt in ti84?

• Thread starter Impackt
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding dy/dx, dy/dt, and dx/dt at a given point. It is mentioned that the chain rule can be used to find dy/dt by multiplying dy/dx with dx/dt. It is also noted that more information is needed to find dx/dt in one of the given examples. The conversation ends with the person expressing gratitude for the help and feeling confident for their exam.
Impackt
I know how to find dy/dx from a point, but how can I find dy/dt and dx/dt from a point?

Please help me...my exam is in a few hours, and this is the last thing I need to learn

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean "find dy/dx at a point"? If so, you should be able to find dy/dt and dx/dt at a point if you have the formulas for x and y as functions of t.

Yes, I mean at a point. I wasn't given formulas...just points. I'll post an example when I get back home.

equation: y = sqrt(x)

find: a) dy/dt when x = 4
b) dx/dt when x = 25

given: dx/dt = 3

answers: a) 3/4
b) 20

I want to know how I can plug in the answers to make sure that they're correct. My exam is multiple choice and I don't have to show any work..

For a, using the chain rule, dy/dt = dy/dx * dx/dt
dy/dt|x = 4 = dy/dx|x = 4 * dx/dt|x = 4

You're given dx/dt = 3. Can you find dy/dx and then evaluate it when x = 4?

For b, I don't think you have given enough information.

Thanks for the help..now I will ace this exam for sure!

1. How do I find dy/dt and dx/dt on my TI-84 calculator?

To find dy/dt and dx/dt on a TI-84 calculator, you will need to use the "dy/dt" and "dx/dt" functions, which can be accessed by pressing the "Math" button and scrolling to the "Calculus" menu. From there, select the "dy/dt" or "dx/dt" function and input the appropriate values for x and y.

2. Can I find dy/dt and dx/dt for any function on my TI-84 calculator?

Yes, you can find dy/dt and dx/dt for any function on your TI-84 calculator as long as the function is defined and the necessary values are inputted correctly. However, keep in mind that the calculator may not be able to give an exact answer for more complex functions and may instead provide an approximation.

3. How do I input values for x and y when finding dy/dt and dx/dt on my TI-84 calculator?

To input values for x and y when finding dy/dt and dx/dt on a TI-84 calculator, you will need to use the "x" and "y" variables. These can be accessed by pressing the "Vars" button and selecting "Y-Vars" or by pressing the "Math" button and scrolling to the "Variables" menu.

4. Can I find both dy/dt and dx/dt at the same time on my TI-84 calculator?

Yes, you can find both dy/dt and dx/dt at the same time on a TI-84 calculator by using the "d/dt" function, which can be found in the "Calculus" menu. This function will give you both dy/dt and dx/dt values for the specified function and inputted values.

5. Can I use my TI-84 calculator to find higher order derivatives like d^2y/dx^2?

Yes, you can use your TI-84 calculator to find higher order derivatives like d^2y/dx^2. Simply use the "d/dx" function multiple times to find the desired derivative. For example, to find d^2y/dx^2, you would use the "d/dx" function twice.