How to find net electric force of zero

In summary, the question is about placing a third charge in a specific location where it would experience no net electric force from two other charges. The person has set up two equations and is trying to solve for b, but is having trouble isolating it. They are advised to get rid of fractions and consider the directions of the forces. The final answer is b=5.45a.
davidflip
I was wondering if someone could help me with this question:

A charge 3q is at the origin, and a charge -2q is on the positive x-axis at x = a. Where would you place a third charge so it would experience no net electric force?

I currently set up two equations:
1. 3q*q/b^2 where b is in between the origin and and x=a
2. 2q*q/(a-b)^2

I try to solve for b but i get lost in the process and can't find the answer...
the answer is b=5.45a

Thank you so much :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show us where you get lost? Then we can give you a hint about which way to go from there.

Sure!
I let them equal each other and I get:

3/b^2=2/(a-b)^2

then I did:
1. (3/b^2)-(2/(a-b^2))=0

2.(3(a-b)^2)-2b^2 / (b^2)((a-b)^2) =0

3. 3(a^2-2ab+b^2) - 2b^2 / b^2((a-b)^2)=0

4. 3a^2 - 6ab + b^2 / b^2(a^2 - 2ab +b^2)=0

I really don't know how to isolate b from here...

It's usually a good idea to get rid of all the fractions, by using the least common denominator in all of them, then cancelling the denominator. You can do this with your equation 4, but it's probably easier to go back to equation 1 and work from there.

davidflip said:
1. 3q*q/b^2 where b is in between the origin and and x=a
2. 2q*q/(a-b)^2

Another thing: are you sure b is between 0 and a? Consider the directions of the forces exerted on the third charge by the first two charges.

1. How do I calculate the net electric force of zero?

The net electric force of zero is calculated by adding up all the individual electric forces acting on an object or particle and making sure that they cancel out. This can be done using the formula F_net = F1 + F2 + ... + Fn, where F_net is the net electric force and F1, F2, ..., Fn are the individual electric forces.

2. What is the significance of a net electric force of zero?

A net electric force of zero means that the forces acting on an object or particle are balanced, resulting in no overall movement or acceleration. This can occur in situations where there are equal and opposite electric forces acting on the object, or when the object is in a state of equilibrium.

3. How does distance affect the net electric force of an object?

The net electric force of an object is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the object and the source of the electric field. This means that as the distance increases, the net electric force decreases. This relationship is described by Coulomb's Law, F_net = kq1q2/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the objects, and r is the distance between them.

4. Can the net electric force of an object ever be negative?

No, the net electric force of an object can never be negative. Electric forces are always either attractive or repulsive, and the net force is the sum of these individual forces. If the forces are in the same direction, they will add together, resulting in a positive net force. If they are in opposite directions, they will subtract from each other, resulting in a smaller positive net force or a net force of zero.

5. How can I use vector addition to find the net electric force of an object?

In order to use vector addition to find the net electric force of an object, you must first represent each individual electric force as a vector. This means assigning a magnitude and direction to each force. Then, you can add these vectors together using vector addition, taking into account their direction and magnitude, to find the net electric force. This method is often used when dealing with multiple electric forces acting on an object at different angles.