How to find the Density of Air with PV=nRT?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the ideal gas law to find the density of air at different temperatures and pressures. The equation PV=nRT is not enough, as air is a mixture and its molar mass needs to be calculated using a weighted average of the molar masses of its components. The conversation also provides hints on how to calculate the number of moles and mass of air, as well as the volume occupied by nitrogen and its partial pressure. Finally, it is mentioned that the equation d=PM/RT can be used to find the molar mass of air at any temperature and pressure where the ideal gas law is a good approximation.
lc99

Homework Statement

Let's say, P = 1.00 atm
and T =273K
and density of air at STP = 1.29 g/L

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not too sure...

PV = nRT
n = PV/RT
= P/RT = 1/(0.0821*273) *1.29 g/L ?

Physics news on Phys.org
PV=nRT alone is not enough, you need air composition as well.

For any gas: assume 1 m3 of gas, can you calculate number of moles? Mass? That will give you density instantly.

For air: air has no molar mass, as it is a mixture, but every mixture has its apparent molar mass (behaves as a gas of such), one that can be calculated as a weighted average of molar masses of the components.

Alternatively: assume 1 m3 of gas. Knowing the air composition, can you calculate volume occupied by the nitrogen? Or its partial pressure? Of other gases?

Borek said:
PV=nRT alone is not enough, you need air composition as well.

For any gas: assume 1 m3 of gas, can you calculate number of moles? Mass? That will give you density instantly.

For air: air has no molar mass, as it is a mixture, but every mixture has its apparent molar mass (behaves as a gas of such), one that can be calculated as a weighted average of molar masses of the components.

Alternatively: assume 1 m3 of gas. Knowing the air composition, can you calculate volume occupied by the nitrogen? Or its partial pressure? Of other gases?

im sort of confused because i was told to use the ideal gas law. the question is part of a lab I am doing and I am suppose to find the density of the air based on the lab's temperature and volume.

I gave you plenty of hints, have you tried to use them?

i
Borek said:
I gave you plenty of hints, have you tried to use them?
figured out how to get the moles of air.. so, the weighted avg of molar mass would be the a lot of gases wouldn't it?

i feel like I am missing some information. would finding the molar mass from the density of air at stp help to find molar mass of air?

so M = dRT/P at stp = 28.913 g/mol

so i can use the equation d = PM/RT for any temperature and pressure?

Last edited:
lc99 said:
i

figured out how to get the moles of air.. so, the weighted avg of molar mass would be the a lot of gases wouldn't it?

i feel like I am missing some information. would finding the molar mass from the density of air at stp help to find molar mass of air?

so M = dRT/P at stp = 28.913 g/mol

so i can use the equation d = PM/RT for any temperature and pressure?
You can use this equation at any temperature and pressure at which the ideal gas law is a good approximation for your particular gas.

Likes lc99
lc99 said:
the weighted avg of molar mass would be the a lot of gases wouldn't it?

Nope, enough to treat the air as a mixture of just nitrogen and oxygen, other ones are in minute quantities and can be safely ignored.

Likes lc99
Borek said:
Nope, enough to treat the air as a mixture of just nitrogen and oxygen, other ones are in minute quantities and can be safely ignored.

Thanks for the help!

1. What is the formula for calculating the density of air using the ideal gas law?

The formula for calculating the density of air using the ideal gas law is D = (P * M) / (R * T), where D is the density, P is the pressure, M is the molar mass of air, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

2. What is the value of the gas constant used in the ideal gas law?

The value of the gas constant used in the ideal gas law is R = 0.0821 L * atm / mol * K, where L is liters, atm is atmospheres, mol is moles, and K is Kelvin.

3. How do I convert the units of pressure, volume, and temperature to use in the ideal gas law?

To use the ideal gas law, you will need to convert the units of pressure to atmospheres, volume to liters, and temperature to Kelvin. To convert from Celsius to Kelvin, add 273.15 to the Celsius temperature. To convert from Fahrenheit to Kelvin, first convert to Celsius using the formula (F - 32) * (5/9), then add 273.15.

4. Can the ideal gas law be used to calculate the density of air at any altitude?

No, the ideal gas law is only valid for systems with constant temperature and pressure. The density of air changes with altitude due to changes in pressure and temperature, so the formula may not accurately reflect the density at higher altitudes.

5. What is the molar mass of air used in the ideal gas law?

The molar mass of air used in the ideal gas law is approximately 28.97 g/mol. This value can vary slightly depending on the composition of air, but is generally used as an average value for calculations.